Strictly Gets Inclusive! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Strictly Gets Inclusive!

CaderMac
CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
Strictly Come Dancing is my all time favourite TV show, the only thing I watch religiously and the only TV show that I plan my social life around. Something about the sequins and Dave Arch's wonderful orchestra just fills me with pure joy every Saturday night in the run up to Christmas. 

So you can imagine my utter elation when it was announced that Paralympian Jonnie Peacock was announced for the 2017 line -up - the shows first ever disabled participant. HOORAY!

Any other Strictly fans in the community? Will any of you be tuning in for the first time now that the show has taken an inclusive step forward? I would love to hear your thoughts or just generally chatter about all things Strictly! 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Sadly, I'm not a Strictly fan, but I've always admired the idea behind the show. How fab that they've finally introduced a disabled participant to the show though - huzzah!

I may just have to tune in to cheer them on, haha!
    Liam
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I am a big fan of strictly, sadly I can no longer dance but just watching gladdens my heart while I remember my days of teaching ballroom dance.  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh how great!!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I love Strictly for several reasons not only the chance to see Celebrities do their thing.  Some are really talented.  Also the music a chance to hear a big band play the tunes of yesterday.  It helps on another level around Autumn and Winter cheers me up beats the blues and lifts my mental state.  Depression mine is worse in the dark cold nights.  I can forget pain and misery for one night.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    thespiceman
    If your depression is worse in the winter, have you conidered using a SAD lamp ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello thanks for reply I have heard of this Where do I get info on this thank you for support
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    hi have a look at

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Seasonal-affective-disorder

You can find SAD lights on ebay
    hope it helps

CR

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    My dad has one of those SAD lights, it's like an alarm clock the one he has it really helps him  :) 

I've not seen Strictly but I bet my little girl would love the lights, sparkles and music - so we will give it a go, and we know who to cheer for now x
  • Lizzyw
    Lizzyw Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I'm a first time poster and totally agree Love Strictly, everything in my home stops for Strictly. If I remember correctly they did a Wheelchair Series on BBC3, I guess that wasn't part of main show. Also remember a Disabled Canadian Serviceman competing but also that was to celebrate something. I've an idea that was when members of the general public were involved for a spin off set of shows, does anyone else remember these shows??
  • bionictadpole
    bionictadpole Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Yes Lizzy... my friends were involved, they also appeared on Britains Got Talent about 6 years ago - the wheelchair dance couple - they now teach in the Manchester area. Google Strictly Wheels if you would like info.

• wheelydad
    wheelydad Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I am a great fan of Strictly, and as an old brass band & dance band percusionist,of the 1950-70 era, I realy enjoy the music and dances of the good old days. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    How is Johnnie getting on? Sorry, I don't watch Strictly!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness