ESA SUCCESS AT LAST — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA SUCCESS AT LAST

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2017 in Coffee lounge
Hello at last the brown envelope dropped through my letter box.  After all this time nearly a year I can gladly say.  I am back on ESA in the support group.  Thank god because this should have never happened.  I have been scanning a lot of the webchat about ESA.  This has to change sure I am glad to be in this support group but I do feel for others.  What I can not understand and never will involve outside agencies to do medical assessments.   Been a long tired painful journey to get where are am now.  Twenty years off and on whether I am fit to work or not.  I note from others why are the medical professionals ignoring crucial evidence.  I had in this one a support worker who spoke up from the very start and had a letter stating how bad my current situation is.  I believe now that the answer may lie in an independent panel of three medical professional not outside agencies.  Employed as impartial assessors.  Give the outcome there and then.  Like a appeal I had a long time ago.  Went into a room waited while they evaluated everything.  Even asked me was there anything else you wished to add.  My support worker said my journeys and travelling to and from home and around the area restricted because of my disability.  So that helped.  Please can I ask what do others think?  I know I supplied plenty of evidence and literally spoke all the time in assessments plus having a support worker helped a lot.  Is that the answer?
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thespiceman

Thats great, yes there needs to be change as the current situation is a joke.

We all need to stick together and stay strong.

That's the great thing with our online community/website.

We need to gather all off our experiences to date and hand them over to someone high up.

So that they can see the real picture / hardship that we are having to go through every day.

I don't like having to "justify my disabilities" all of the time 

I had better come off my "soapbox"  for now!!!!

• thespiceman
    Thank you for your support and reply.  That is what I like about this every one has a view and opinion.  The thing is I am well versed in the problems of ESA thanks to this site.  I thought I had a bad situation with benefits but there are far worse out there.  Even listened a while back to the radio when EDS was on Radio 2 the feedback from listeners who considered his government and the policies they have created a misery a total lack of understanding and the attitude.  I believe on one such discussion.  Going on a bit here but I need to say what and how I feel.  I forgot to mention went down to a big conference about springtime this year.  Set up by the charity I am a client or service user.  All the stories read out by everybody talked about the ESA.  I can tell you the response from the audience was amazing.  I was one of those stories.  We have to group together as we grow stronger there will be voices heard.  I know that.  So keep the faith as they say.  I won today but for how long.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulation, a well deserved outcome. I am really happy for and hope it continues for a long time

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    That is great news!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    Thank you all for support.  I just hope and pray that I am on this for a while this ESA in the support group.  I can hope relax a little bit .  I have and I know got things like PIP coming up sometime when plus reapplying blue badge.  I did not know this by way you can assessed for that as well now.  It is not just a form to fill in.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    @thespiceman
    Great news mate, you must be pleased, and relieved. I talk to a lot of people in the same situation - well, mostly, listen - and it seems to me that its the luck of the draw, what assessor you get, what type of mood they happen to be in on assessment day, things like that. There doesnt, to me anyway, seem to be a 'rule of thumb' for how to behave at assessments, but I agree with you that its not right. Benefits are for people in society who are, for whatever reason, unable to work; theyre often vulnerable, and unable to speak up for what is theirs by right, and to subject vulnerable people to the psychocompulsive bombardment they do nowadays is a form of criminal assault, and should be treated thus.
  • thespiceman
    Thank you for comments I agree with what you say.  I have just met someone this afternoon after filling in a six page form for another blue badge.  Told him about my result getting this little bit of extra on ESA in the support group is going to be a benefit as I have struggled all these years.  Problem is I have won today  but for how long is the answer.  Hope and pray do not ring up too soon.  I commented also we as a community not all aware what the government plans are.  I did also add I say to anybody who is going to one of these assessments.  I am not preaching I believe having a support is vital and giving them much information I had letters from my support worker.  Saying that though we as a team me and support worker kept plugging away at the medical professional with things that we happening.  Information overload.  Is that the answer? Who knows I have lost as well as won many times on these assessments.  I feel for every body who suffers. In the words of a song before you critise abuse and accuse walk a mile in my shoes.  Well I have
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • stevevar
    stevevar Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    i am  on esa and  pip   of  my  situation i was  run over in 09  by hit an run driver  then having  worked all my life for local gov i never asked for any  help as   your situation get   dwp are a nigt mare i got ward  18 months when it 3 years you ll laugh they  did not read the form i am still waiting  re  consideration  from aug  such as joke im still getting my money ok being in a small  community with no means  just family help  i do find it hard as i spend most of the time in doors
  • thespiceman
    Hello @ stevevar  I am sorry about your situation.  This is a message of support.  I feel for you and understand your situation.  I am aware this is the painful part waiting for money and waiting for such a long time.  You remind me of myself no one wants to ask for help and support but I had to.  I am a proud gent but in the end there is no point grumbling and moaning about what is happening to me.  I had to do this and I had to fight for every scrap of support, help, advice.  I know this no one going to help you.  In this country you have to ask for everything.  Also had so many knock backs from people who were supposed to help me and when I asked politely told in no uncertain terms got full case load.  Don't need another one to add.  This from various charities along the way. Spent a life time trying to get support.  Only  last three years with a mental health charity.  Main thing is to move forward still need some support as I grow older.  Now tenure has finished with that charity.  The thing is my friend you have done the right thing and come on here this forum.  This community helps.  I am in similar position to yourself.  I have no family though and use this forum for speaking.  Hardly see anybody.  I pray and hope your situation changes nice to talk to you 
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness