Dementia diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dementia diagnosis

blackcat73
blackcat73 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
 I have recently been diagnosed with dementia,i am currently in the work related activity group of esa,is it possible i could be placed in the support group,i have sent in a supporting letter and proof of diagnosis to dwp will this be enough?

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
     I have recently been diagnosed with dementia,i am currently in the work related activity group of esa,is it possible i could be placed in the support group,i have sent in a supporting letter and proof of diagnosis to dwp will this be enough?
    It's not the diagnosis. It's whether you meet the criteria for the support group.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Blackcat 73.  
    The criteria can be found on the Disability Rights website - see Factsheet 71!

You have two possibilities here - either to meet one of the 16 criteria that are listed; or to meet one of the Exceptional Conditions (Regulation 35), for example if there would be a "substantial risk to your health" if you're not placed in the support group. 

It's always a good idea to provide medical evidence of whichever criterion you are trying to prove. 

I hope this helps.

Here's a link to that factsheet:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-capability-assessment

Best wishes

Gill@Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.