DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA

Options
Jophiel
Jophiel Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My award said it was indefinately, I have osteoarthritis and depression, slipped discs and anxiety.  Why are they not appreciating the first award and taking money from disabled people? 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    I argued this and was told it's because the criteria has changed. Some of it is pretty much the same. But apparently, that doesn't matter now.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is substancially different to DLA.
    PIP is a benefit based on functionality and not what your medical, physical or mental conditions are.
    To get an idea of what is involved, you can take an on line self test for PIP and/or ESA there is a link on this site to the B&W site where you can  take the tests

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    JophielJophiel,

If they are stopping your DLA & telling you that you have to claim PIP, then basically the reasons are as above - the criteria are different. PIP is a points based benefit, looking at what you can do, what you cannot do, your limitations etc. Of course there are similarities but it is a different benefit.

The self test is a good idea. 

Having said all that, I think that requiring long-term disabled people to reapply for a new benefit is incredibly harsh, and there is no harm in talking to your MP about any stress and difficulty this causes for you. The more we alert MPs to the problems, the more likely we are to see some changes in the process.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.