Does anyone else feel the same about the term 'disabled person'? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else feel the same about the term 'disabled person'?

2»

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not disabled, I am still exploring the things that I can do

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jonblake
    jonblake Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Having a son with CP, yet more able than me in so many ways, has certainly made me rethink my ideas on disability.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Dasiydo said:
    I have different promble with bus pass As with hear aid and Dyspraxia " You not disabled you not over 65 years old why got bus pass?"those who get blues badge for your car do have same problem?

Hi for over 20 years I was bus driver and we were never allowed to ask why anyone had a disabled bus pass.  Now that I'm nearly 70 and have become "severely handicapped" I also get a bee in my bonnet about being classed as disabled which I think stigmatizes those who are still able to do things, only slower and with difficulty. I much prefer to be classed as handicapped.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I don't like having to say I'm disabled. It's a derogatory term. I've been physically challenged for nearly 6 years so find it hard to say I'm disabled as feel it doesn't fit who I am.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I find hard living with disabilities why because of extra cost with food I be told can't do volunteer as befriended with making space recovery mealth health because my half deaf make me mad. I do something feel down as I feel I lost the battle prove them wrong beside have disability is part use ok PIP assistant was nightmare but I don't give up. I have promble with my dyspraxia as learn support going Upper Morton farm on Monday because Snow is coming to Stafford Staffordshire I won't be able get home to my cats Sydnee and Annbel if bus service not running. I don't like how other people judge because got hide disability
    V.shaw
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body.  I like a lot of the comments and agree with nearly all of them.

Would the term having a disability be more sensible than saying being disabled.  I have been called handicapped.

Which I then point out to the person saying that to me.  Must be some thing you can not do I can so does that make you having a handicap.

Can you swim no he replied so does that make you handicapped then.  The inability to do tasks efficiently is that having a handicap.

Same with disability.  What exactly does that imply to a person who in my opinion has a disability. That refers to some one who has the again inability to do functions I could not do.  That is my view, I reading between the lines.

So if I can not for example read or write does that make me disabled.  Yet the term is banded about for all sorts of illnesses and conditions.

That could imply to every body in the living world could it not.

What I constantly hate the word Super Human got that few weeks ago.

I gave him a look where did the hell that come from.  Hang there's a phone box.  Honey where's my supersuit.

I do wish labels would go away and just treat us all the same. 

Am I dreaming again.

Must be the Spices I am taking for my health.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    The whole disability vocabulary is fraught. I see that Scope uses the term ‘acquire’ a disability, as if I went online and saw just the disability I needed (right size, right colour, reasonable price, next day delivery). Elsewhere ‘declaring’ or ‘disclosing’ a disability is discussed as if it were a big secret or a lie. For ‘disabled’ I much prefer ‘differently abled’ 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    my disability has turned me into a disabled person and does define me quite a lot, yes i am a person but it's now a big part of who i am. so long as people treat me like i'm human i don't mind what label they want to use.

but i do find handicapped unacceptable for some reason despite knowing it just means disadvantaged, it seems to have some kind of negative connotation to me.

Brightness