Is it taboo to talk about health issues in public with out offending anyone. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it taboo to talk about health issues in public with out offending anyone.

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
I had a day out yesterday went to a park and was sitting enjoying the fresh air when I approached by a man who walking his dog.  Made some light conversation.  Anyway got talking as you do.  This ended up about health issues his and mine.  We were both just sitting there and the chat got around his problem with addiction.  I sat there and listened then I told him about mine.  How it has effected me mentally and physically.  Both of us just talking then I suddenly noticed people around us saying that what we were talking about is offensive and should not be talking like that.  I do not know what to say.  Both of us we dumbed founded and stunned.  I think about what I had said.  I know we were both discussing friends and loved ones that had died from result of addiction.  Has anybody else had similar experiences.  It is not a free country to talk about anything or is there boundaries.  I know both of probably helped each other talking about this.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    I've not heard of anything like this situation. As long as there were no young children around then they were out of order trying to silence you. Your conversation was lawful and in no way explicit apparently.

It was an open public space. I wonder how they would have reacted if you had said it to them about their conversation instead.

Forget all about it I say.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Good for you being able to talk about both of your problems, I am sure it did help both of you.
    You were having a private conversation, albeit in public, presumably not shouting and swearing loudly. Your discussion with the other person was of no business of anyone else passing by. By offering their opinion on your discussion is impolite at best and on a good day I might have told them so. On a bad day I might not have been so polite. . 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jmhall10
    jmhall10 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Spiceman.
    I was reading ur post and I thought how lovely.
    How you both found each other just to talk openly.
    The people who commented towards you both was disgusting. How dare they speak to you both in this way. Take no notice of there horrid words. Respect! :-)
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I don't get their issue at all.  You weren't discussing someone elses problems, nor were you discussing anything illegal.

I've had someone come up to me and we both had our mobility canes. He just said "you're like me" (or something" and that was it. He was just making conversation.

I personally don't discuss my health problems in public with strangers (a friend has kind of mentioned them - he had my permission) but that's just me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello thank you all I would like to say the problem I have encountered with having some health issues such as addiction.  Is that no one wants to talk about it.  I released this a long time ago when I was on the road to recovery coming out of rehab.  The attitude and demeanour of people especially the community I was living in at the time.  I was shunned by every body I had known.  The only friend I have now lives up the road and works in the addiction centre.  Ironically I discussed this with him a while ago.  I have long term health problems with addiction.  Even the aftercare for addiction is limited.  There is help for those who wished to stop.  This is being eroded with funding cuts.  Meeting other people with similar problems it seems as I have stated all hush hush.  The hidden social problem in our society.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    People don't want life's bad things to touch them @thespiceman , it's human nature.
    Your original post where someone tried to silence you though is a new level of intolerance.

Brightness