When will I change from DLA to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When will I change from DLA to PIP?

kpmcgurk
kpmcgurk Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited October 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been on DLA since 1993. My award was initially a lifetime award but it was later changed to an indefinite award. I am wondering when I am going to change to PIP - not that I feel I should have to!!! Any advice would be extremely beneficial and appreciated.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hello

If you were under 65 years of age on 8 April 2013 then you will be invited to make  a claim for PIP.  If you were above 65 years then you will remain on DLA.

I cannot give you a definite time period as you have an indefinite award, and you could therefore be contacted at any time to claim PIP.  However, the government hopes to transfer people receiving DLA onto PIP by late 2017.

You will initially be sent a letter inviting you to make a claim for PIP. The letter should tell you how to make a PIP claim and that you have 28 days to make a claim.  The letter will also warn you that DLA will stop if you do not make a PIP claim.  DLA will continue whilst you PIP claim is being considered.

Regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• laustin
    laustin Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    is there some were i can go to help me fill in pip form thank you
  • neenag
    neenag Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi..CAB were good with me. They did all my forms and were going to tribunal with me 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello laustin

If you need face to face help including help with form filling i suggest you contact the Scope helpline as they should be able to direct you locally. The number is 0808 800 3333.

David

• noracnorac
    noracnorac Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi I have just received my letter to change from dla to pip I've been on dla for ptsd and had a lifetime award I'm 66 and last year due to my condition I blacked out and fell ...I ended up in hospital for eight days with a tibia plateau fracture I have a plate with eight screws in my left leg and consequently I'm learning to walk again but I'm having lots of problems that keep me bed bound a lot of the time I live alone and rely totally on my sister can you help me I don't know what to do I can't get out to ask for advice...N.Callaghan

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi noracnorac

If you've just received the letter there is some time to act before any deadlines start to loom. That said you should still take action as soon as possible. In the first instance this will be to telephone the PIP office on 0800 917 2222 to start a claim. There will then be a form to complete and probably a medical assessment. You can find out a lot about the claims process on the Scope website here.

If you need help and are unable to get out i suggest you contact the Scope helpline on the number at the top of this page. They should be able to direct you to any local services. We are able to answer specific questions but i'm afraid we're not in a position to help you actually make the claim. Hopefully there are some local services who can do that in your area.

Best wishes
    David

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I contacted DWP on another matter this week. I also queried my DLA to PIP change over which I haven't heard about yet. I was concerned because someone recently told me DLA payments will stop next year.

I was told they are running well behind schedule (probably due to so many tribunals) and that I would be contacted in due course. If you haven't been contacted don't worry, DLA will be paid until you are assessed. No matter when that happens.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Just to confirm the advice given by TK, there is no need to panic if you are still on DLA. It will continue until you receive a decision on your PIP claim once you been invited to claim as long as all deadlines are adhered to. (1 month to request the PIP form after receiving invitation, then 1 month from the date it is issued to complete and return it).

Lee

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.