Feeling desperate! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling desperate!

NikNak
NikNak Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Please help me-I don't know what to do
I have had ESA & PIP stopped almost all  at once and am trying to manage without approx £200 p/w and now housing benefit stopped. 
ESA assessment was on July 5th-i went alone as my mum who normally accompanies me has had a long depression and I can't go to her for help even tho I desperately need it.
was in a bad way when I was awarded ESA & PIP so been very lucky to have the financial help. I'm a long way from managing a normal life but I do wNt to return to civilisation and I finally felt strong enough to help in a charity shop for few hrs on thurs each wk. I sed to nurse I felt I needed support trying to return to work as all confidence has gone and very anxious in the run up to social situations.
Im an overly emotional person at best of times & I really don't handle stress well. I really struggle with forms and even phone calls and now my mum is in a bad way I really feel so alone.
my ill health have seen me locked at home so I have no friends to talk to and the worse it gets the more I want to scream. I can't face it all and hide from things that I know I have to sort. 
The ESA assessor totally got me wrong on several issues coz I can't be honest about my situation-partly shame, partly pretence (even to myself). I don't want to be on disability and thought she'd see I wanted help-put me in 'wrag' for a few weeks at least to help me prepare both mind and skills.  I struggle in social situations where I don't know & trust people-how am I going to Face a stream of job interviews? 
I feel I'm slipping backwards and the progress I'd been making is falling apart. I've stopped leaving the house and I'm scared to answer the door in case it's my landlord now the rent has stopped. 
I feel so alone

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @NikNak You have been very brave to pour out your story of how you feel and you have posted in the right place to get the help you so desperately need. It's unfortunate that being Sunday you may have to hang on in there till tomorrow when the advisors will be around. But there are lots of forum members who will help in the meantime. Firstly you need to tell us what is happening with your benefits and why they've been stopped. Think of each of the things you've mentioned and separate them in your mind so we know exactly what has gone wrong with each one.
      While reading your story I can see where you may have gone wrong at your ESA assessment when you told the nurse you wanted to return to work as this made you a prime target to be taken off ESA and back onto JSA which you should be getting now? I am retired but others who are younger will help you with what to do next.
      You write very well so tell us the facts as well as you can and then we will be able to help you. Take a deep breath and tell yourself the only way you're going to get out of this situation is to think positive and get a bit of fighting spirit back. Most of what you need to do can be done from home starting tomorrow. OK?  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello NikNak and welcome

As  wildlife has said you have come to the right place.
    We are here to listen without judging, help when we can and support all the time.

You are not alone, so many people do not get the support they need, but you are special, you have recognised that you need help and have come here and that is a very big first step.  :)

wildlife, I and other members of our community are here for you so please share with us what you can

Tommorow, please call the Scope help line first thing
    0808 800 3333 where trained advisers will be able to assist further

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • NikNak
    NikNak Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both so much. 
    Whilst my English is good I am actually a technophobe and typing seems to take me for ever. Trying to get everything out would take me so long so the phone number is a big help.
    im not good at asking for help. Nor talking about my emotions (or weaknesses as I see them). 
    I hate admitting I can't cope but I really can't. And I know in my head I've got to that point where I have to try and fix things before I fall too hard I can't get back up!
    Thanku again-my brain feels a bit less loud after admitting Ive got myself in a pickle. I honestly didn't know who I could talk to xx
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem we are here to help anytime

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello NikNak

I hope that you were able to contact the Scope adviser and this helped find a way through your difficulties.

A lot is happening:

1. ESA - if you have not done so already you can challenge the decision to stop benefit.  If this is the first challenge you have made then you must lodge a Mandatory Reconsideration.  You must do this within 1 month of the date of the decision letter to stop ESA. It is also best to request this reconsideration  in writing.  Use your national insurance number as reference. 

ESA is awarded (generally) when someone scores 15 points on the Work Capability Assessment. I have put a link to the points system, so that you can see how different difficulties are awarded different scores:

http://www.sense.org.uk/content/esa-descriptors-determine-whether-you-have-limited-capability-work

If your reconsideration is not successful, please post again.

2. Current benefit - you may have to claim JSA or Universal Credit (depending on where you live) pending the ESA Mandatory Reconsideration decision. If you live in a 'full service' area then your claim will be Universal Credit. You can see if you are in a 'full service' area by putting your post code into the link below.

http://universalcreditinfo.net/

You may however be entitled to other benefits e.g. Income Support, for example if you are a carer for your mum who claims certain disability benefits. 

If Housing Benefit has been suspended then you are likely to receive  a form asking what your current income is.  You need to complete this form and indicate what benefit you will be applying for. If it is for example JSA, once awarded Housing Benefit should be re-instated. 

If Housing Benefit has stopped then you need to request a revision of this decision, again within 1 month of the decision letter, stating that you are entitled to benefit as for example you currently have nil income. 

Please post again if you are unsure what to do.

3. PIP - as with ESA above you can challenge the decision to stop benefit.  It is the same process, that is lodge a Mandatory Reconsideration within month of the decision letter, explaining why you are entitled to benefit. 

PIP is awarded if you score at least 8 points on the daily living or mobility descriptors. I have put a link to the points system, so that you can see how different difficulties are awarded different scores:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

If your reconsideration is not successful, please post again. 

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.