High blood pressure and antidepressants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

High blood pressure and antidepressants

xanda
xanda Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in Mental health and wellbeing
hi i am new. i am a sufferer of depression anxiety and the added bonus of high blood pressure. i have tried several anti depressants which have made me worse and now on my original tablets Venlaflaxin which docs were worried because of high blood pressure. i was put on 24hr blood pressure monitor and my doctor says im ok because my readings while asleep level my high readings out? i am still confused by this. there must be a reason why i am getting high blood pressure readingd in daytime? surely its not right?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger

Welcome to our website and online community I do hope that we can help you??

Please please have a good look around the website and please let us know if you require any assistance ???

I have attached some info on Blood Pressure for you and please let me know if you have any questions/problems with it ????

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blood-pressure-(high)/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @xanda welcome to the community, I dont know much about blood pressure.  If your doctor has said it is ok, then is there a reason you dont believe them? You could ask for a second opinion?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I always tell people that if a GP says your blood pressure is high insist on knowing the numbers. I suffered high BP all my life and it wasn't until  8 or 9 years ago the reason became apparent. I have some sort of problem with the blood flowing past my knees. Obviously my heart was compensating for the problem making it high above the knees but low (acceptably so) below.

However, after my 20's it always hovered just below worrisome levels (155/90). Once I started becoming immobile due to my condition it crept up fairly quickly to 180/100. Consequently I ended up on tablets for it for years until a year ago. After I came out of my coma it stabilised at 160/90 so I'm off the tablets again.

Pain pushes it up and can have a considerable effect. Whenever I have had to have an ambulance out it's always been back at the 180/100 level or higher. (200/110 isn't uncommon) until the pain subsides except on one occasion. That particular trip to A&E had the ambulance rushing and worrying. I had a BP of 240/160. They said I should not just have had a stroke I should have died. Oddly I had no stroke and no aftereffects at all.

Sometimes doctors really don't understand how our individual bodies work and just draw a line in the sand which is an average. If you know the numbers for yourself it gives you something to compare to when other people panic.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness