I must claim PIP or my DLA will be cancelled. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I must claim PIP or my DLA will be cancelled.

Jay_Kimm
Jay_Kimm Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just been notified that I must claim PIP or my DLA will be cancelled.  They have sent me a massive form to fill in, and I will have to go for yet another medical assessment (the last time I had one of those they classed me fit to work, the appeal court overturned their decision) and now they are pestering me again.  I don't really know what is going on, can anyone help me please? 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Jay Kimm and welcome

You have been claiming DLA because you have a disability or medical condition.
    In their wisdom the government decided to change DLA to a new system, Personal Independence Payment, and this is what you must do or your award will stop.
    If you already have the big form then you do not have much time to complete and return it, usually 28 days from the date of the letter. You can ring up and request an extension.
    The criteria for PIP are very different from DLA, PIP is a test of functionality rather than medical condition.
    Try taking the self assessment test on the B&W site, this will give you an Idea of what is required

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Please come back with any questions or if we can help further

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jay_Kimm lots of people here have made the change from DLA to PIP and so if you have any questions, do ask as you arent alone.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Jay_Kimm,

Welcome to the community :)

Please see the PIP pages on our website we link to Disability Rights UK Guide to claiming PIP which is really helpful and includes some handy diary sheets you can complete to help provide evidence of how your disability affects you. We also link to the PIP self-test mentioned by @CockneyRebel above.

If you struggle to complete the form in time you can ring the PIP helpline and ask for an extension. This is helpful if you're seeking help with the forms but can't get seen in time.

I can't stress how important it is that you get the form in on time especially as you're transferring from DLA. As long as you meet the time scales your DLA will continue being paid until a PIP decision is reached. Send your completed form by recorded or special delivery so you have proof of postage. If you provide a mobile number you will be given text updates on your claim. The majority of people claiming PIP for the first time will require a face to face assessment.

Spend some time browsing through the various PIP related discussions because there are lots of tips you can pick up and it will all help with your claim. Evidence is key with PIP so think about what evidence you already have and what evidence you might be able to obtain to help support your claim.

If you need further advice along the way, pop back and let us know. We have some wonderful community members on hand to provide advice and support. A lot of members have already been through the same process and really can give a brilliant insight into the process.

Good luck and best wishes
    Debbie

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jay_Kimm

Disability Rights, CAB and Scope sites all have guides to appealing for PIP.  Think about how your condition meets the descriptors.  Like many on here I've been through PIP and finally came out the other end with the award I wanted.  Please ask any questions you have.
  • Jay_Kimm
    My Mobility allowance has been taken away from me by the PIP people, because (allegedly) of a conversation with the assessor that I know didn't happen, it is a total fabrication. I need to appeal my case but not sure how to now, I tried getting in touch with Bristol and Avon appeal people but have not had any response from them.  My illness is degenerative so how on earth can I suddenly be assessed as improving? I feel like this is a personal assault because I overruled their decision the last time they tried to do this to me.  I am desperate for info.  Thanks all.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear this @Jay_Kimm, how frustrating for you. I'd recommend reading this resource on appealing a DWP decision to get you started, and coming back to us with any questions: many of our members have been through the process themselves and will no doubt be happy to help. Do keep us updated!
  • Jay_Kimm
    I am afraid it is now too late for me to appeal, the second decision had come back from the PIP assessor's dated 5 December although I didn't get it until 15 December, during that time I had contacted Bristol and Avon for help but they never got back to me, I contacted another Solicitor who deals with these cases only to find that he would not be able to process in time.  I did manage to get a little extra financial help from PIP but still no Mobility.  I guess I'll just have to plod on and get on with it, after all, according to PIP I can now throw away my walking stick and run like a deer.  Thanks for all your help guys, keep up the good work.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear this @Jay_Kimm, especially after all the efforts you appear to have gone to, to sort things out. I've moved this post into our ask a benefits advisor category just in case they can make any further suggestions.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Late appeals are allowed if there's a good reason . Ask in Ask a benefits advisor under what circumstances you can appeal late.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Jay_Kimm

Late appeals can be made up to 12 months late, but you have to have special reasons. The DWP guidance on this might be helpful as although it is not the law it gives a good indication of what might be accepted. Have a look at para A5070 onwards from the DWP advice for decision making here.

If the DWP has not already completed a mandatory reconsideration this should be done first. Again it can be done late up to 12 months but again must have special reasons. If the DWP does not accept your late request you can appeal that decision.

Let us know how you get on and if you need further advice.

Thanks
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.