Having hobbies — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having hobbies

bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Hi everyone
First i want to thank "scope" for all your help and support you have given me. Especially everyone who has helped me through some bad times. When i was going through hell with P.I.P for neally a year, I just wanted to give up on everything. It took a toal on me mentally and physically.  But with support you have given me. I have managed to win my appeals, and i now im dealing with my disabilitys. For people who don't know my disabilitys. I'm provoundly deaf, with tinnitus, i have nerological problems due to sweet's syndrome. I also have P.G a skin disease, depression, anxiety stress, and panic attacks. I will never be able to work again, but I have found a hobby that keeps my mind busy.  Everyone who is still fighting P.I.P Please don't give up. Believe me I know it's hard but you can do it. 
Good luck to everyone xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bevt2017
    Hi @DannyMoore  
    I'm so sorry you feel that way, and I hope you are getting some support.
    I've suffered with depression since I was 11years old on and off. So I know what your going through. I'm on 2 lots of medication so that's helping me. I've also had help to talk about my abuse growing up. 
    I wish you all the very best, and I hope you don't let it defeat you.
  • Mia_Alumni
    Mia_Alumni Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    edited September 2017
    Good morning @bevt2017

I am so pleased to hear you finally managed to win your appeals, after what must have been such a long year for you. You didn't give up, you kept on going, and that's something to be really proud of. It's heart-warming to know that we were able to provide you with the support you needed.

It sounds like you have been going through a hard time; depression is never kind to anyone. Involving yourself in a hobby can be a really effective way to help combat those down spells and make you feel a bit better about yourself. I would love to hear about what hobby you have found that helps you. For me, getting creative like painting, writing, scrapbooking makes me feel calm, relaxed, and energises me. It almost feels meditative, and allows me to shut off from my mind.

Hobbies that produce physical signs of progress can be quite gratifying. I've also found that giving back makes you happier - volunteering, giving someone a helping hand, or even something as simple as offering someone a genuine compliment. There are little things we can do throughout our days that build to create moments of happiness.

I hope your hobby continues to provide you with the calm your mind has been needing.

All the very best, 

Mia
    Mia
    Helpline Information Officer
    Phone: 0808 800 3333
    Email: helpline@scope.org.uk
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017
    What a lovely message, thank you! I am glad you are feeling positive and are in a better place right now.

What hobbies do you enjoy? I like films, jigsaws and crochet as they are all things I can do no matter how rough I am feeling.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bevt2017
    Hi @Mia_Scope
    Thank you for your reply.
    My hobby is making silk bows, designing baby and mummy towel cakes, nappy cakes, baby bouquets ect. I'm having a fab time doing them. Plus it helps me with my tinnitus. I have a diploma in floristry, so it's nice to work with my hands again. I'm also getting a very high response, from friends and family so i think they like them. 
    I'm going to design and donate something to scope for all the help and support. they can sell it or raffle it off.
    I'm happy you have found a hobby. Your doing everything I loved to do.
    Thank you
    All the very best for you 
    Bev

• Mia_Alumni
    edited September 2017
    @bevt2017, your hobby sounds amazing! I bet they're beautiful, and it's even more rewarding when you have your friends and family liking them. Good for you!

Your donation to us will be so greatly appreciated by us! 

Take care, 

Mia
    Mia
  • bevt2017
  • Mia_Alumni
    Well, would you look at that. :love: Thanks for sharing photos of your wonderful creations, @bevt2017! Good on you!
    Mia
  • bevt2017

These are the last ones I did, for an expectant mother and baby boy.
    (I handmade the bows myself)

I loved doing them, but they just got so popular I've stopped.

I'm still thinking of what to do next?

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    These are absolutely gorgeous, @bevt2017!
  • bevt2017

Brightness