Blue Badge renewal - technological nighmare — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badge renewal - technological nighmare

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2017 in Transport and travel
In my borough its now only possible to renew a BB online. I'm a technophobe though I suppose if others can do it I can too.  Educational. Anyone know how long it takes to upload all the docs?

More to the point, many older people qualify for BBs but are not online and have never even used a computer in their lives.

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    The form is usually a web page @Matilda so it will be nearly instantaneous once complete.

It's a sign of the times that everything is on-line now. They usually have a helpline though and they will probably fill it in for you if asked.
  • Matilda
    Thank you, @Markmywords

But as well as completing the online form I have to scan: DWP PIP award letter (10 pages long); current BB; photo; utility bill; driving licence!
  • Markmywords
    Wow I had nothing like that from Derbyshire !

A physical form, 2 photos and a copy of the cover page of the PIP award (or equivalent evidence.)

Then post it.

It's no wonder you are frustrated by your county.

Uploading images of everything you have to do will depend on various details but if you have broadband then it should be between 5 and 10 minutes.
  • Matilda
    @Markmywords

How long ago did you last renew your BB?  When I last renewed three years ago I went to the Town Hall with the necessary docs and a staff member processed my application there and then and issued my new BB.  

Now it's online only - due to cuts. My project for tomorrow!  I've got broadband - I'll post on here how long it takes me.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    Thank you, @Markmywords

But as well as completing the online form I have to scan: DWP PIP award letter (10 pages long); current BB; photo; utility bill; driving licence!
    You only need the page that confirms your mobilty points, you don't need the whole award letter

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Markmywords
    About 3 weeks. :/

Which county is doing this to applicants ?
  • Matilda
    Thank you, @CockneyRebel.  That's not so bad.
  • Matilda
    @Markmywords

This is a London borough and I believe all London boroughs might be doing the same. I think I have to apply on the gov.uk website.

As I've said above, many older people qualify for BBs but a number have never used a computer.  What are they supposed to do?  A friend of mine has never used a computer, and has no intention ever of doing so.  True, she isn't disabled. I think the only real inconvenience caused to her so far not being online is that she can't take advantage of her M&S Sparks card offers!
  • Markmywords
    Yeah London boroughs administer like shire counties.

A decent library would have those resources for public use but what a palaver !

A person might try their luck on the BB helpline too.
  • Matilda
    @Markmywords

I did go to the Town Hall today thinking they'd process a BB renewal if an applicant turned up.  No dice.  Told them I have difficulty uploading docs and they referred me to the library in the same building.  Library said, yes, we can help you upload once you get to that stage.  I replied, well I've got all the docs with me. She said I have to log onto a computer first and complete the form.  I am not registered to use the library, and couldn't go through more bureaucracy.  So decided to do it myself tomorrow.  Might try the BB helpline if necessary.

I suppose they think if you can drive a car you can scan documents.
  • Markmywords
    edited September 2017

Jobsworths. Should I laugh or cry ?
  • Matilda
    @Markmywords

It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that some disabled people just couldn't cope with being given the runaround and gave up.  Several times I've thought, do I really need a BB since I don't do much driving these days?  But I won't let them get me down.

I do wonder how many BBs they've saved in London because some applicants were defeated by the bureaucracy. :s

Brightness