Mental illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental illness

dedus
dedus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited June 2017 in Coffee lounge
hi I have several so called ( mental illnesses ) eubpd , dysthemia , dysuria , sociopath , ect ect , labels labels labels , don't you just love being labeled , !
anyway I just wanted to hear about others with mental illness who like me feel really isolated and alienated just by society , because they don't nor want to try and understand us !

Comments

• BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi @dedus

Living with mental health issues is tough! Labels never feel brilliant- I myself have had a few battles with anxiety and depression, and have numerous health problems that carry labels, but they are needed to access support. It's very true that there is still a stigma attached to mental health issues. I particularly struggled in my first year of university with feeling lonely and isolated.

What gives me hope is that there are droves of people online who are fighting back against it. In fact, the government launched a campaign this year to get men to talk about their mental health more, and there is now a mental health awareness week every year.

It's getting there, albeit slowly, like any social change- it takes time!

Becca :)

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dedus welcome to the community, it's so good to have you here.  I think that there is a stigma around mental illness but we have lots of people who have different mental health diagnoses on the community so I hope you can connect with our members and enjoy being here.

There was a great blog post a while ago about Mental Health that you might like to read.

We also have a mental health advisor if you have any specific questions.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dedus
    dedus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi to both of you :)

yes we we do need labels to acess support I totally agree , but I guess it's just annoying that we get labeled like a package of food or a parcel , I think also so,evokes we can get lost in our labels , almost treat them as friends , ( I have this ) just because someone told me I do ! Anyway ty for replied I app it :) don

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dedus.
    It's great to have you here I do hope that we can help & support you ???
    I have myself got Mental Issues (undiagnosed)
    Please have a good look around the site & ask me as many questions as you like.
    Steve.
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
     I have disagree labels I believed what your inside you because labels same Labels could be different too e.g Dyspraxia got so many labels too.
    V.shaw
  • lindalucy
    lindalucy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I too have anxiety and depression can be a pain at times 
  • Dusty123
    Dusty123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I'm dawn.i leave mental health problems.been diagnosed borderline   personality disorder
    Been suicidal may times ..i hope to get support on here and get new friends
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dasiydo
    Well if had label it for drepession and Dyspraxia and half deaf because here whistle in my ears now where hearing aid but I apply be volunteering job at making space and was told can't be volunteering because can't committee though mum on phone so upset this volunteering handbook in bin and was told Disability can't have job because can't  be come voluntary because I was hearing aid 
    V.shaw
  • Dasiydo
    Oh forget say 10 October is world health health day
    V.shaw

Brightness