Atypical — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Atypical

CaderMac
CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
I wondered if anyone has watched the new Netflix series Aytpical - about a teenage boy on the autistic spectrum. 

I've not actually got round to watching yet but I have seen lots of mixed reviews about it and would be interested to know your opinions and thoughts? 

This review by Leslie Felperin in the Guardian might be interesting for those who have watched it. 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @CaderMac,

Excellent discussion topic! I was hoping someone on our community would post about it soon, as I know it's become a big talking point on Twitter and the autistic community lately.

The National Autistic Society recently published an article on their website which includes some people's reactions to viewing the trailer for the show - including my good friend Connor! It's quite an intriguing piece.

Whilst I haven't seen the show myself (I don't have a Netflix subscription!), I did watch the trailer as well and I had some mixed reactions about it. I wrote a post about it on my blog last month, which you might be interested in reading.

@VioletFenn, have you heard anything about it/seen it? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts!
    Liam
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I've not seen it. But it would be nice to see a programme on adult females on the spectrum. Anyone would think we don't exist...
  • Liam_Alumni
    Very true, @Nystagmite. Whilst it wasn't a TV drama, I remember seeing a great documentary in January this year called 'Girls with Autism' - all about Britain's only girls school for those on the autistic spectrum. Did you see it?
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Liam_Alumni
    Unfortunately, it looks like that site is only for internal ITV staff, @Sam_Scope. I just had a look at the registration page and you need to select someone from the staff list to approve your registration. Gah, what a shame!
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Oh that's a shame! Sorry about that!
    Scope
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    I've just been talking to someone about this! I haven't watched it yet, because if I'm absolutely honest I'm concerned it might make me a bit punchy :D I've had quite a few messages about it - currently it's about 50/50 between 'this will be great for awareness' and 'DID THEY EVEN *ASK* ANYONE AUTISTIC FOR THEIR OPINION, FFS?' :D

I think it's very difficult for TV companies to make 'awareness' dramas that appeal to both those affected by the issue that's being portrayed, as well as the general public. I spent a day on the set of the new series of The A Word recently and the writer behind it was very upfront about the inevitable difficulties, it was really interesting.
  • Sam_Alumni
    We have had a few comments about this on facebook.  Russell said:

I honestly wish it were better. But as Carly said, it's another generic white socially awkward geek and it has all the pitfalls of the "autism" programs that came before it - namely that it's clear autistic people weren't consulted nor listened to. It's got that Sheldon Cooper vibe - when I watched it, I felt like I was supposed to laugh at him rather than with him, like we're supposed to laugh at Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. He truly wasn't a relatable autistic character - he was written like a placeholder filled with stereotypes, to make allistic (non-autistic) people who watch feel like they Really Understand Autism. And they didn't even get the autism right.

Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Martina on facebook said:

Only watched ep1 so far and loved it! The first autistic character I've ever seen that I can relate to. Yes it had some of the stereotypes in it but there were times when I proper laughed out loud as I knew what he was going to do or say before he even did because it was EXACTLY what my son would do or say. I think with any dramatisation of autism

Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Claire said:

Can relate to bits of it, but I'm fed up of seeing the stereotypical geeky white autistic guy. I'd like to see a woman, preferably with a job, family and social life to be a positive role and be seen as an equal rather than someone to be mocked.

Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Andy said:

Honestly? As an adult on the spectrum I felt insulted by it rather than endeared. Russell sums up all my issues with it.

Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Joanne said:

I loved it, i thought it was brilliant. No matter what is put on t.v. someone is going to say something is wrong with it but I couldn't fault it. I watched it all in one night.

Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Bryden said:

I understand why people are bugged by the whole 'white, nerdy, high functioning male' thing. I really do. I work in the field with lower functioning kids and have a high functioning sibling. And I can tell you they got that bit right, for me at least. The sibling relationship was excellent in my book.

I don't feel they got autism wrong though ... purely because it's such a varied spectrum. It was just another character we've seen a million times. 

Also I really appreciated seeing the dynamic of dating. It's rarely portrayed that autistic people (or disabled people in general) don't have an interest in dating. This made clear that they do, as well as sexual desires. Even in things like Big Bang Theory, Sheldon is pretty much portrayed as asexual, even after he has sex ... he doesn't want to do it again any time soon. This showed that some autistic people have 'typical' sex drives and that that's fine.

Scope
  • joanne1987
    joanne1987 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I agree with the above Bryden, the spectrum is so varied. How can you say he doesnt potray someone with Autism when no one person is the same.Has anyone looked at the family around? This series was not just about him, it was about how it affects others around him too.And I thought this was great. 
    I also didn't see the awkward geek that everyone is seeing. To me he was just a teenage boy :/ what because he wasn't the boy driving a car in a leather jacket surrounded by girls means geek...i don't agree.
    Sheldon Copper is brilliant and I do not laugh at him, I laugh with him. I believe that if a series is done based on humour when it comes to certain topics people will always have a problem with this, as they see this as people laughing at, rather than with, but is that because thats what they are doing :/
    I believe this series has at least opened up younger viewers talking about autism. Such as my 16yr old sister who didn't know about autism. So I see that as a bonus at least!
  • Liam_Alumni
    Wow, that must have been an interesting experience, @VioletFenn! I really enjoyed the first series of The A Word, and I'm looking forward to the next one! I've heard that they're looking for an autistic person to play a role in the upcoming series, which is promising!
    Liam
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    @LiamO_Dell - there is indeed an autistic actor in the new series, and most excellent he is too! There is also much more screen time for Leon Harrop, the actor with Down Syndrome who plays Ralph - I was lucky enough to meet Leon for a chat and he's just brilliant fun  :)
  • Liam_Alumni
    Oh, that's fab! It's great to hear that they're working so hard on the representation side of things. :)
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    I finally watched this series and I did enjoy it, as a neurotypical person I don't know how accurately it portrayed ASD but there were definitely parts that resonated with me.

The relationship between the brother and sister is one, I liked how they showed the balance between her wanting to protect her brother but also how she felt the weight of responsibility and also the feelings of isolation.

@CaderMac have you seen it yet?
    Scope
  • CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    @Sam_Scope still not quite got round to watching (you know times are busy when you can't even make time for Netflix!) but definitely will after reading everyone's responses! 

• RattyPipkin
    RattyPipkin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I enjoyed the programme, although at times it was emotionally harrowing. It does fall into the usual trap of trying to create a character with *all the things*, and not so much of the positive aspects. Where are his Aspie tribe? Why is him learning to restrict his interest more important than helping him to channel towards potential lifelong benefits to be gained from that level of knowledge? We need to celebrate the joys of being part of this Awesome Autistic Community. 

Brightness