Help with finances query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with finances query

Retlock4
Retlock4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,
I have four children still living at home. The youngest being 15. My son of 20 years old has autism and cp and this means my ability to work is restricted due to caring for him. I work 16 hrs. However, my partner who has no responsibility for my children now lives with me. The problem being that any money he earns is included in tax credits etc and he ends up payingmore towards the bills. Is there a way that this can be avoided? Thank you

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Retlock4

A very very big welcome to you this morning.

I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation.

I will pass you over to our "Benefit Advisors"

They are best placed to help you with this !!!

BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me with this post ???

Many thanks.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Unfortunately, it can';t be avoided as tax credits go on your household income.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Retlock4,

Unfortunately for all means-tested benefits and credits, if you are part of a couple that live together, both of your incomes will be taken into account when your entitlement to Tax Credits is calculated.
    Does your son get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment? Does he claim Employment & Support Allowance?  Do you get Carer's Allowance for looking after him, although there is an earnings limit of £116 a week from employment?
    I can't see any way around your issue with Tax Credits but please consider the above to see if you can increase your son's income.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Retlock4
    Retlock4 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your responses. I thought that was the case but was hoping for different! My son does get DLA and ESA, he contributes to the household bills. I don't get carers allowance as I earn about £170 a week in a job where he can come with me or I work from home to be with him. We just keep on I guess and hope to stay afloat! Thank you. Loretta

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.