Motability tribunal advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability tribunal advice?

Options
ClffordHenry
ClffordHenry Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in Transport and travel

I have joined on behalf of my wife who has recently lost her claim for motability allowance in the past 3 years she has had a 2nd hip revision a complete new shoulder replacement and suffered a stroke but despite her telling the DWP that she can only walk 20-50 metres the assessor says she is capable of walking 200 metres this is based on the assessors "assumption" we are waiting for a tribunal date can anybody offer any advice

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ClffordHenry welcome to the community - is this due to her PIP claim being reassessed?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    Do you have any medical evidence? It has to be done in a reliable, safe manner and you must be able to repeat it. Also, if you walk 10 metres, rest and then walk another 15, it's the 10 that counts. It has to be without pain.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I have joined on behalf of my wife who has recently lost her claim for motability allowance in the past 3 years she has had a 2nd hip revision a complete new shoulder replacement and suffered a stroke but despite her telling the DWP that she can only walk 20-50 metres the assessor says she is capable of walking 200 metres this is based on the assessors "assumption" we are waiting for a tribunal date can anybody offer any advice
    Hi,
    PIP Enhanced mobility is 20 metres or less reliably, without pain and discomfort. You have to be very careful on the wording you use. Your wife telling the DWP that she can walk between 20-50 metres isn't a good thing. Do you have proof of the distance that she can walk?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ClffordHenry

Scope, CAB and Disability Rights sites all have guides to PIP appeals.  DR publish a benefits handbook, available from DR site) which you have to pay for but is worth the money - has a section on tribunals.  

Assessor's assumption about walking distance isn't a barrier in itself (I stated under 20 metres, assessor assumed 20-50 metres, tribunal agreed under 20 metres) but ability to walk 20-50 metres would only entitle your wife to basic rate mobility and your wife has told the DWP this.   

I suggest that you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category for expert advice.

Brightness