GP referral for swimming? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP referral for swimming?

velvet2017
velvet2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I never said I was disabled till 3years ago but actually I started being disabled 17. I found it really hard to admit it disabled and I don't like using the tools which help me. Sometimes I want to be the other me, the one before the wheelchair,tablets and carers. I hope the people who help me realise how much I love them not for just being my carer but for being part of my family.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @velvet2017

A very very big welcome to you to our online community.

Yes yes it is hard to except things now but the best thing to do is concentrate on the new you if possible ???

I have left the old me & I'm fully focused on the future & not the past.

Yes I have no doubt that your family/friends/carers know how much you love them.

Please please let me know if I can help you further.
  • velvet2017
    velvet2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi steve

Thank you for the big welcome to your group.

It's actually the first time I've ever joined a group regarding my disability.

You can help me if possible, I've decided to try and swim again even though legs aren't good and someone mentioned something called a gP,  referral so I can get help trying to get fitter. 

I don't think I'll be in the Olympics next time but I've decided to be more positive and after taking a long look at myself I started dieting. I've lost 3 stone in 3 years, a bit slow going but I think physical fitness may help.

Do you know anyone that has ever used the gp referral system and if so what do I do and how did they get on.

Thanks for taking the time to make me feel welcome, I actual feel like there may be a future for the first time in a long time.

Take care

Jo
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @velvet2017 welcome to the community - I think that lots of people struggle with coming to terms with disability, you arent alone.

Swimming sounds great, can you go and have a chat with your GP and see what they think and how they can help?

I had a google and it seems most areas have pools that say they accept GP referrals and so it would be best to start with your own GP and see what is to offer in your area.

It's a lovely and friendly community here, so do have a look around, join in and let us know if you have any problems.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    edited September 2017
    Hi@velvet2071

That's no problem at all.

Yes being "Positive" is the best "Drug" around belive me !!!!!!!

Looking after yourself makes a big difference as well.

It makes you feel like your "Hummon 

Now strangley enough I have used the swiming / gym myself a few years ago now.

I have put the link below for you.

<a href="http://prescription4exercise.com/">http://prescription4exercise.com/</a>

Please let me know if there are any problems just canged "pc"

• Sam_Alumni
    I have edited the link for you @steve51 :)
    Scope
  • steve51
    Hi @Sam_Scope

Thank you very very much !!!!!!!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @velvet2017 did you manage to see your GP about getting a referral for swimming?
    Scope

Brightness