My daughter's school is not authorising any absence and I'm in court as a result - any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter's school is not authorising any absence and I'm in court as a result - any advice?

JojoS
JojoS Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Education
Myself & both my daughters  ( obviously ) have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.  I have had a HUGE battle with my youngest daughter's school over her attendance since her original diagnosis as the consultant refused to put her name to EDS & only called it Joint Hypermobility. This has led to the school not authorising any absence due to her pain & I am now in court as a result. I finally have a better diagnosis of JHS with pain in numerous joints....but still the case goes ahead & I need advice & support.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @JojoS,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Your local Law Centre may be able to offer some legal advice and support regarding your court case. Citizens Advice may also be able to help and point you in the direction of other useful organisations too.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions,  then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @JojoS

The government website gives the following guidance:

When your child can miss school

You can only allow your child to miss school if either:

• they’re too ill to go in
    • you’ve got advance permission from the school
    If your child has been unable to attend due to illness, the school should be making reasonable adjustments or seeking outside support.

For detailed information on the law surrounding SEND and absence, contact IPSEA. They will be able to provide advice for you moving forward. The link to their advice line is below

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/contact/advice-and-support/advice-line

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JojoS what happened with this? Did you get sorted?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness