Advice/Experience please! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice/Experience please!

Kuldovu92
Kuldovu92 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, just joined today. 
For the past 6 years I have been suffering with mental health difficulties, such as agoraphobia and depression and, recently, have been diagnosed with panic disorder. I made a claim for PIP back in June and made it clear I needed a home assessment which was initially denied but was then allowed. The assessment was booked for the 5th of September but on the day I was told via phone that it was changed to the 20th. However yet again it was changed to the 28th of September. I'm really worried about my claim getting rejected, I've done a self assessment on the benefits and work site and scored enhanced rate for both but have heard some horror stories and nd bout assessors lying! I genuinely cannot leave my house due to agoraphobia and nd bourse nd have panic attacks in response to nothing, which in the past has almost led to fires in my home due to having to "escape" the situation due to a panic attack and not showering/bathing for days due to the sheer exhaustion this mental disorder brings.
Sorry for the long post, what I'm telly looking for is reassurance so I can sleep a little better! 
I appreciate any who have read this and hope you can help! Many thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    They very often cancel appointments, unfortunately there's nothing really you can do about this. I know it's very stressful but hopefully the next appointment date will be successful.

Have you sent in evidence to support your claim? If you haven't then i'd urge you to do this, or to hand copies to the assessment provider when they arrive. Nver leave it to them to contact anyone because mostly they don't. Is anyone going to be with you during the assessment? I would advice that you ask someone, just to be there to support you. A few days after the assessment you can ring DWP PIP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision will be. Mostly the decision maker goes with whats stated on the report. Good luck and hopefully it will go ahead this time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kuldovu92
    Hi poppy123456 thank you for replying!
    I was told to hand medical evidence (GP letter declaring me unfit for work) to the assessor who would then pass it to the DWP decision maker. Am I best off send sending in a separate copy to them directly?

I appreciate you taking the time to comment!
  • tfr12345
    tfr12345 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    send copys to both and i always record delivery so they cant deny getting it and make sure you have someone with you on day of assesment to write down everything thats saiad by you and the assesor because belive it or not they do lie 
  • dc2908
    dc2908 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hi,
    The best advice I can give is to make sure you get all the evidence you can because the dwp will not.

Let them see you as you are, don't try to put an act on or a brave face, because that will go against you.

Have someone there with to answer any questions you can't answer and for moral support.

They will judge your disability the whole time they are there ( I don't say that to try and scare you ). 

Again evidence is key ( as much as possible).

I wish you all the best and luck
  • Kuldovu92
    Thank you for the replies people! I've called them again today to confirm the appointment tomorrow, and It's still going ahead. A little angry about the whole thing considering how much I've read of them lying and twisting! I hope I don't have to go through all of that! 
    I have sent a copy of the letter my GP gave me to the DWP. The letter describes what I'm suffering with and my doctor states outright I'm unfit for work, will this be a huge point I'm my favour?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.