its not fair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

its not fair

cliffb1947
cliffb1947 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

HI.A FEW WEEKS  I WROTE ABOUT MYSELF APPLYING FOR  P.I P AND THEY TOOK MY DETAILS OVER THE PHONE .I RANG D.W.P. AND THEY SAID I WAS NOT ENTITLED TO IT THATS WHY THEY NEVER SENT ME THE FORMS OUT THIS WAS 6 WEEKS AFTER ME APPLYING THEY DID NOT CONTACT ME OR ANYTHING THEY KEPT ME ON A SHOE STRING WAITING AS I WAS HAVING TREAMENT FOR CANCER AT THE TIME NO LETTERS OR ANYTHING THEY HAVE SAID SORRY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD WHEN I APPLIED BUT THIS WAS NOT SO I WAS BORN IN 1947 A YEAR TO EARLY SO I HAVE TO STAY ON D.L.A.WHITCH IS A CARER GETS MORE THAN I DO BECAUSE OF MY AGE PEOPLE LIKE ME ARE MISSING OUT ON HIGHER BENEFITS  SO IM NOT A HAPPY CHAPPIE AND ITS NOT FAIR THE BENEFITS WANTS LOOKING AT THIS AGAIN .

Comments

• loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi Cliff, I am no expert but I think that as you were born in 1947, making you 70, it means you should be claiming attendance allowance? It may be worth calling the DWP and asking to put in a claim and they hopefully will give you the correct advice. Very good luck
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    loopyt said:
    Hi Cliff, I am no expert but I think that as you were born in 1947, making you 70, it means you should be claiming attendance allowance? It may be worth calling the DWP and asking to put in a claim and they hopefully will give you the correct advice. Very good luck
    Attendance allowance doesn't have a mobility component to it. It only has the 2 care parts, which are the same amount as PIP.
  • loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Oh, that's a shame, thought the older you got the less complicated it was. Sorry
  • cliffb1947
    cliffb1947 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @cliffb1947,

You mention that you have to stay on DLA and this is because you're one of the people not affected by PIP. You were born before 8th April 1948. Those born before this date could stay on DLA. People born after this date and in receipt of DLA will eventually all be moved over to PIP. 

Depending on the level of DLA you're currently on you may be better off under DLA than PIP. As people have mentioned above, there's no mobility component in Attendance Allowance so if you're receiving the mobility component in DLA, the fact that you can stay on DLA is really good.

A benefit which does go under-claimed a lot is Pension Credit. If you're not claiming this already, it's worth checking to see if you're eligible. Please let me know if you need further information about this.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.