How much in savings can I have as I need to apply for ESA and Housing Benefit NOW — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How much in savings can I have as I need to apply for ESA and Housing Benefit NOW

1leglindy
1leglindy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have returned to the Uk after moving to Spain in February 2017. I broke my ankle in spain was operated on but wanted to come back to the UK to be close to my family and friends. I applied for ESA but was refused on Contribution based method. I am now applying for Income Based ESA...I have hardly any money but have just received into my bank account a tax rebate of £800. My current account is maxed out to the limit of my overdraft facility. My debts are mounting eg. loans and credit card repayments, and I am living hand to mouth funded by loans from good friends and sister. I am staying with a family friend but due to my lack of mobility because of my broken ankle they have said I have to move out asap...what do I do and who do I go to for help and advice. On line is easier as I have no means of transport and mobility is limited to allow me to go anywhere. I know my case isn't as severe or desperate as some others but I really am floundering around and need a lifeline...thanks everyone

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @1leglindy -good name!

The savings thresholds for most benefits are between £6,000 - £16,000. Once you go over the £6,000 mark your benefits start to decrease, and they also want to know about any property you have abroad - but your £800 won't cause you problems I don't think!

Benefits wise, it'd be ESA in the short term and JSA (or more probably Universal Credit) in the longer term.

As regards Housing Benefit, you can claim this for a private rented property once you have found one, however the amount you will receive will be determined by a number of factors, such as how many people live there, your age, etc. Here's a link where you can have a check. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• 1leglindy
    1leglindy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Mary for your reply..... It has helped immensely. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.