going from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

going from DLA to PIP

cally4you
cally4you Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi , im on high rate DLA  still  for both  parts ,  and  will be needing to fill in new pip form soon , my QUESTION is ... i have  excellent evidence in ways of MRI,s   CT  scans  and  numerous   doctors  hospital letters , my health issues are  complex and on going, im on 9 diff types of pain relief ie fentanyl, lidocain , to name but a few, in past ive had spinal injections 6 in all, very  painful they were to! BUT  heres the but, my data goes back to 2009 which then i took DWP to a tibunral for stopping my DLA  in 2009 because  a locome doc let me down badly at my   G.P.  surgery and  told  dwp  he wasent aware i had a back problem ! so they stopped my money  , any ways i got what i needed to and took them to tribunral AND WON  with that evidence , so can i use  that  2009  data in ways of what i have got ? and back it up with a say a new  letter of support from my docs ? or   go back and see ALL the many docs i was seeing  at hospital in 2009 ? for  what i dont  quite  know new scans ?? seems pointless as i know what i have all ready ? with risk of more cost to NHS  and  radiation to me not to mention  pain i get from  having these mri,s ?  any  advice  . help  plz  thanks .

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello cally4you and welcome

Generally the DWP prefer evidence to be recent, but  many people with long term problems are "parked " in the system with little need to see GP.
    Use what ever evidence you have with a new GP  letter specifically detailing your problems with the PIP descriptors as the criteria is quite different to DLA.  If you need a home visit your GP should also state that you cannot attend a centre and Must be seen at home if necessary.

Please come back If we can help you in any way

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello cally4you - as CockneyRebel quite rightly says, the DWP do prefer evidence to be recent. However, a letter from your GP or consultant which confirms that your condition is unchanged since 2009 should be helpful in avoiding having to present new x rays, scans etc. It is also very important that any letter from your GP or consultant details the ways in which you fit the criteria for PIP, as the points system is very different to the way DLA is assessed. There is a link here to the part of the Benefits and Work website which shows all the activities and the points that are available under each one. While you are preparing for your eventual PIP claim and assessment it would be a really good idea to be familiar with the scoring system, and which points may apply to you. Here is the link: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Please get back to us when your PIP assessment has been notified to you, and we will help you prepare as best we can. There is a lot of excellent information on the Benefits and Work site which will also help your preparation.
    I hope this helps and good luck!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• cally4you
    cally4you Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks very much
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    No problem - just let us know if we can help you in the future when you know when your PIP assessment will be.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.