I need a letter from my doctor, who is going to charge me £25 for it - is this the norm? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need a letter from my doctor, who is going to charge me £25 for it - is this the norm?

jill61
jill61 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Due to my mental and physical health I need a shower. To be referred I need a letter from my doctor who is going to charge me £25. Is this the norm? I had one fitted by a previous council in different area and wasn't asked for this.

Comments

• Caz1980
    Caz1980 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi 
    I am afraid it is the norm for the gp to charge for these type of letters. Your local  citizens advice might be able to help. 
    Caz 
    Caz
  • Caz1980
    Caz1980 Community member Posts: 7 Listener

Hi @jill61

Caz1980 said:
    Hi 
    I am afraid it is the norm for the gp to charge for these type of letters. Your local  citizens advice might be able to help. 
    Caz 

Caz
  • knowy0151
    knowy0151 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi the first time i asked my GP for a letter she never charged me but this time a different GP charged me £18 its just down to the GP wether they do or not.
    I think its wrong but without my letter i wouldnt have got my renewal.
    So it was the best £18 iv spent good luck
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Being charged for letters isn't up to the doctors, it's up to the practise & practise manager. Like just about everyone else these managers are trying to support their salaries by preying on the sick. Whilst most working people can afford this, we cannot. They have no conception what financial hardship is suffered by most of the long-term sick.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Charging for certain services, such as writing some types of letter, signing passport applications, certifying photos, is something that GPs have always been allowed to do - these count as permissible private medical fees chargeable by NHS doctors.  The doctor decides whether to charge.  There are maximum charges but doctors can reduce these, or waive them altogether.  My doctor had to certify a photo of mine for which the maximum charge was £25 but he reduced this to £10.
  • lainey64
    lainey64 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Varies from doctor to doctor. Can be at their own discretion too. My dentist tried the same so I just went back to my old dentist and he did a letter for free
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    It's entirely up to the doctor, most gps charge for letters and form filling, along with non NHS medical services such as driving licence medicals. You'll find that they tend to stick to a pricing structure agreed with the partner gps that own the practice, however some doctors use their discretion. This situation is pretty standard across general practice.

Brightness