pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

lillyloulou0508
lillyloulou0508 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
hope someone can help me. I recently sent in forms for my dla to be changed to pip.I've been on dla for a number of years. my husband was claiming income support and carers allowance. my pip was sent 10 days before the due date. they've now said that they didn't receive it on time surprise surprise. because I've got no proof of postage they've stopped it all. we've asked them to look at it again but that could take months. we've now got no money coming in and don't know where to start. my son and daughter live with us and they both work so now we've got to pay full rent. I can barely walk never mind work. can someone please help. we don't know how to go about claiming anything and we're a tge end of out tether. many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there any reason why you didn't sent it recorded delivery (signed for)? This would have been your proof that it was sent. It maybe a case of your word against there's in this case. Mail can take quite a while to arrive at the correct department, sometimes 7-10 days, crazy i know. Sending it recorded delivery was your proof it had arrived, but sadly you have no proof you sent it now. Im unsure what you can do other than wait for your PIP assessment and decision.

You have a few options options to claim other benefits in the meantime. You could claim ESA Income related with your husband named on your claimed, so you'll be claiming a s a couple but you'll need fit/sick notes from your GP to be able to claim this.  Only problem with this is if Universal Credit is in your area then you may be forced to claim this. I'm not great with knowledge about UC so hopefully someone else will come along soon and advice you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    With regard to your PIP.

As you have no award in payment at the moment first thing on monday is to make a new claim.

With your current claim, you can askfor a mandatory reconsideration which will probably come back the same. You can then take it to appeal tribunal but unless the DWP admit to having your application, and you have no proof that it was sent or received this will also probably fail. This whole process is likely to take many months and if you suceed all you have done is win the right to start your claim from the date your DLA finished.

You can do both of the above if you can manage to keep two sets of paperwork separate. If your first claim is allowed, and you are successful that will run from the date of the date of your DLA finishing up until the date of your second claim decision. Your have the option of withdrawing either claim before it has gone to decision.

This all sounds very complicated I know but try and get your head around it. Any questions and i will try and explain further

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lillyloulou0508
    many thanks for this. my husband spoke to them on Friday and they said they would look at it again but it could take months. my son lives with us and he works so now we have to pay full rent. I don't even know where to start for claiming other benefits such as esa eg. the lady we spoke to on the phone said for us to contact our mp. I did have a proof of postage but I can't find it anywhere so I think I probably threw it away. do I have to get a sick note from my gp to claim. thanks for your help. much appreciated 
  • lillyloulou0508
    many thanks for this. my husband spoke to them on Friday and they said they would look at it again but it could take months.my son lives with us and he works so now we have to pay full rent. I don't even know where to start for claiming other benefits such as esa eg. the lady we spoke to on the phone told us to contact our mp.I did have proof of postage but can't find it as I'm sure I threw it away. do I have to get a sick note from my gp to claim. thanks for your help. much appreciated 
  • CockneyRebel
    I am sure one of the advisors will pick this up tomorrow as they are generally not on at wekends

CR
  • lillyloulou0508
    thankyou very much for your help
  • poppy123456
    Yes you would need sick/fit notes from your GP to be able to claim ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    lillyloulou0508lillyloulou0508,

What a nightmare situation! You definitely need to claim again as soon as possible, as CR advises. 

Just to clarify, I think the form the DWP say they didn't receive must be the PIP2 questionnaire? And the DWP seem to be saying they have received it, but just not in time? So it's definitely worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration of their decision to refuse, and then appealing if you need to. Just be honest about what happened and if you can, state the date you posted it. If it did turn up at the DWP, then maybe the delay was at their end....?

What to do meanwhile. It sounds as if you may be able to claim ESA but as Poppy has said, there could be a complication if you live in a universal credit 'full service' area. You can put your postcode into the online tool here to check that. 

Assuming you're in an area where only some people can claim Universal Credit then you can go ahead with your ESA claim. Ring 0800 055 66 88 to start the claim. You will need to send in sick notes. Your claim will be based on you and your partner, and your son's earnings won't come into it.

In the meantime, if you can, I would try to get some advice on your housing benefit. You should be able to get what's called a 'nil income' award - so although your son's earnings reduce what help you can get, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some help, assuming you were getting some before. I'd check this again with the local authority, and ask them about what happens to your council tax as well (this varies depending on your council, but the change to your benefits may affect it).

You can get advice locally from a CAB, your MP's surgery, or in some areas there might be a disability advice centre.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• lillyloulou0508
    many thanks for this. I posted the pip forms off on the 18th August and they had to be in ny the 28th August so they were posted in plenty of time. I did have proof of postage bit I've thrown it away. they say they didn't get the forms back until the 25th September so they said I was to late in sending them back. I genuinely did post them. I feel like my stomachs been ripped out. they say it will have to back to the case worker to be reprosest. I've contacted my mp who have written a letter of complaint on my behalf. my gp has given me a sick note for 3 months and said if I need another one she will do 6 months
  • poppy123456
    Please check this link to see if UC is in your area because you may have to claim this if it is. https://universalcreditinfo.net/

• lillyloulou0508
    hi I've just checked it out and it says it is available in our area and that some people in our area may be able to claim it in the future as they're not sure when it will be fully available here yet. I am going down to the citizens advice tomorrow so hopefully they can help me. thanks for your advice
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello  lillyloulou0508

I have just read through your posts.  I hope the CAB were able to help you claim ESA and look into resolving your PIP and Housing Benefit.  Please keep us posted.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• lillyloulou0508
    hi went to citizens advice and tbh he was a total waste of space. I felt worse coming out than I did going in. all he did was feed me negative thoughts. no help whatsoever. I'm still on the same position as I was before I went there. still got no money coming in and because m son and daughter still live with us and both work I've had the rent office call me today and ask why I haven't paid my full rent. I'm at at breaking point now. any help.would be greatly appreciated 
  • CockneyRebel
    First thing to do is put your details into an on line benefit calculator. This will tell you what you might be entitled to. ESA or JSA for example .
    You really should ask for your MP's help with your current PIP claim.
    As already said you should also start a new PIP claim now

CR
  • lillyloulou0508
    Yes I'm going to ring today to try for esa as my gp has given me a sick note for 3 months and if I need another after this she will give me one for 6 months. I rang my mp hoping to get an appointment with them but they just rang me back and said they would write a letter of complaint for me. I've been told that age concern will come to the house to help me with the forms.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.