Forum from another site. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forum from another site.

lonewarrior
lonewarrior Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hello all I first came here many months ago looking for answers about autism and adults, I found this site to be extremely friendly and informative.It actually helped me make the decision about my belief I was autistic all my life,I am a 55 year old male.
However I found a site specifically for autism spectrum it is called National Autistic Society or NAS, I have met many new people who understand me and I me them,it really is a community and we all help each other, 
I still visit here and always will but a dedicated site helps tremendously as everyone is similar.
Yesterday the forum suddenly shut down? It still is down now and probably won't come back until admin go to work Monday morning.
My reason for writing here is in case any of the other forum users come here.
I should imagine some are feeling anxiety at the loss of a familiar place?
Thank you for helping me and so many.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Hi
    I am so glad you have found a site to fit in. Thanks for letting our members know that the site is down.
    If you ever feel anxious then we are always here to help

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lonewarrior
    Thank you cockneyrebel it is fantastic to have a place specific to our needs, No one judges anyone and understanding certain traits and coping mechanisms is invaluable. We help so many people who come on late evening looking for help in desperation.we cannot give them all the answers but can let them see they are not alone and if we can help we do.
    It certainly has it's moments seeing as autism has specific markers that shall we say can cause misunderstandings,they usually get resolved though.
    The thing about forums in general is folk like me become quite dependant on them so when they vanish even for a short while you are basically cut off with no means of contact with people you often talk to! It happened on a car related site I used but most drifted over to similar sites catering for that type of vehicle.
    Anyway I wish everyone here well and thank you for your welcome.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am glad you have found somewhere with kindred souls. Unfortunately there are a lot like me, where the initial disability is uncommon. That's where a site like this is so useful. Admittedly follow-on problems can be common as disability tends to have side-effects that are similar to all. However, if it were not for sites like this one there would be no way to address any problems at all and no one to discuss them with.

There are a lot of disabled people despite us being classed as a minority in % terms and it is always good to have somewhere to go. Always try to support ALL the places we can get help rather than concentrating on one type only.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • lonewarrior
    Hi Topkitten nice to meet you, I am So grateful for scope running this resource as without it I may never have found why I never fitted into society and start my journey into understanding me.
    It would suit me if more people came here as not wishing to put NAS down thier forum or web platform is very limited in its ability. Not really autistic friendly? To PM someone you first have to "friend" request them?something I and many don't feel comfortable with.on here as on lots of forums a post count of say 25 or 30 allows you that ability based on trust and allows the person you are contacting to read your comments or posts and decide who you come across as.

It also has imbedded replies that suddenly appear mid way along the conversation,no page numbers?So once there are say 60 replies it means scrolling all through them,considering my device scrolls four replies at a time before having to load takes forever.
    It truly is an amazing community  as all members  on thier are very caring and most get on fantastic as we all kind of understand each other.
    It had a leader board to rank individuals. It may well be good for most folks but being autistic it makes me feel a centre of attention or somehow better than others. We voted on it's merits and had it overwhelmingly removed.

My response is typically long and overly focused,I call it rambling but I do not apologise as it is part of who I am.
    many thanks to you and this amazing site and all the admin. ( ).

Brightness