Introversion Possibly Isn't Part of Autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Introversion Possibly Isn't Part of Autism

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi, 

I think it is a choice of life. My medical condition forced me to be Introverted person but by nature I am total extrovert. I like to be outside, enjoy nature. At home I feel like almost prisoned. 

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Very interesting point.
    I never thought about whether I am introverted before. I prefer my own company and really can't be bothered with other people, even the couple of friends that I do have I see rarely, finding that when they do visit all I really want is for them to leave. I even avoid the company of my OH as much as possible. Does that make me introverted or just antisocial ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Danny
    pretty much described me to a T, maybe I am an antisocial introvert. I would have liked to be a lighthouse keeper

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I don't think being an introvert has anything to do with Autism as such. I do think though that a lot of disabled people become introverted. I suspect that part of it comes down to the isolation enforced onto the disabled, partly due to inability to be a full member of local communities and partly because both the system and healthy people in general don't like to be reminded that some things are incurable.

Personally I get a lot of satisfaction (and always have) from time spent in only my own company and yet, when I am out and in company, become a fully functioning part of conversations and even enjoy the spotlight and being the centre of attention. Having such a reaction has made me wonder if a don't suffer from MPD at times as the two options are so diverse.

Being introverted is really a life choice and I don't think it needs any more analyses than that. It's not something genetic or due to a mental attitude. It simply comes down to what people are comfortable with and what is enforced on them by the reactions of people around them as they grow up.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness