Wheelchair-friendly property to rent Lancaster — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair-friendly property to rent Lancaster

Options
el007
el007 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone, 

my name is Elena and I am a wheelchair user. I am looking for some advice on properties to rent. I am looking for a small and cheap flat (for 2 people) in the area of Lancaster that would be accessible to someone on a wheelchair like myself. I am especially in need of a step-free place with a roll-in shower and a toilet with grab-rails. Could someone please help me?

I would be happy to see any available property around the area (Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham, Galgate, Garstang). I do not have a car, therefore it would need to be in a location easily reachable by bus. Do you know of any association/agency that could assist me? I am not a UK permanent resident, therefore I am not eligible for council housing and I am struggling to find a privately-owned accommodation that would suit my needs.

Thank you very much, 

Elena 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @el007,

Welcome to the community.

Have you tried the Accessible Property Register?There aren't any properties available in the North West but keep an eye on the site to see if any come onto the register.

The HouseShop advertises properties to rent and you can filter the search to include accessible properties.

Although you're not eligible for social housing it's still worth asking the council for some advice. They might have some information to help you with this.

I hope that this has been a helpful starting place. Good luck with the property hunt.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness