ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

trace66
trace66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Please can someone tell me why there are 2 types of ESA. I know other people who get ESA and there is only £4.00 different and they get free dental free prescription's and free glasses how can this be. It is very difficult to live on ESA and have to pay for all the above. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @trace66, there's a lot of useful information about ESA in this resource by Scope. Do take a look and let us know if you have any further questions!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The two types of ESA are contribution based and income related.

Income related looks at the ammount of income you have and any savings. Because of this it is assumed that you are on a limited income and so you are passported to the benefits of "free" NHS services.

If you are on contribution based, you can receive an IR top up which will then give you the same benefits and possibly more.

You can ask for a financial check by filling in an ESA3, which will look at your finances but nothing else. If you then qualify you may receive the top up.

If you are on a low income you can also apply for an HC2 certificate which will also entitle you to NHS services.

I hope that helps

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.