Home aids - where do I get help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home aids - where do I get help?

Options
Katalyst
Katalyst Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My partner has Parkinson's Vascular She needs aids in the house to move around and getting into bed and ramps to allow getting outside Where do I get help please

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Katalyst welcome to the community.

Speak to your GP if you need equipment at home or to help you get around. They can tell you about local sources of help or refer you to your local Social Services or NHS.

You can buy your own equipment, but a social worker or occupational therapist can help make decisions about the equipment that would be most helpful. Decisions about the kind of equipment you may need will often be the result of an assessment of your care and support needs.

You may also be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant if you need to adapt your home to make changes for a disabled child. This grant can help pay for adaptations such as building safe play areas, installing a stairlift, widening doors or adapting heating or light controls.

If a local authority needs assessment has concluded that you need this equipment, it should be provided free of charge. Minor adaptations costing £1,000 or less – which includes the cost of buying and fitting the adaptation – are also provided free of charge. Councils can make a charge for minor adaptations that cost more than £1,000 to provide.

Larger, more expensive items may be classed as adaptations and will be the responsibility of the housing department and provided through Disabled Facilities Grants.

You can find out more on the NHS site here.

I hope this helps :)

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness