Looking for friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for friends

lovemyowl
lovemyowl Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2017 in Coffee lounge

Hi 

My name is Lynne I'm 46 yrs old & have been fully deaf in the right ear and a high level deafness in my left ear since birth but as a teenager I fell into a coma which caused me to have MMA ( Methylmalonic Acidemia) &  secondary dystonia which causes stiffness/muscle spasm making it difficult for me to sign normally and it takes a while for people around me to learn what I'm signing so I have found it difficult to communicate with people and make friends as any one communicating with me needs to be patient with me as I'm slow at signing. I have an iPad communication aid to help me to communicate with people but people must have lots of patience with me when I’m communicating on my iPad.  

I checked your scope website & typed my postcode (East Grinstead) but unfortunately they do not have any befriending within 40 miles from my area, I don’t have any friends in my area & in the south East uk, I desperately need female friends to visit/meet up, text msg etc. I suffer from mild depression & emotional problems, I do really missed not having female friends as my ex old deaf & disabled friends from school have no respect for me, never have time to visit or meet up, they’ve not made any effort to keep in contact with me as they have no patience when I’m trying to communicate with them, I’ve tried my very best but they weren’t listening & are not interested to understand how I feel, it really upsets me

I hope there are females on this site who would like to contact me and possibly become friends. Thanks for reading my post.

Lynne.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Lynne and welcome

So sorry that you have lost your friends, it must be really difficult for you with the trouble you have communicating.
    I am sure we have members here that will be happy to chat with you so please don't feel alone.
    If there is anything you need help with please let us know

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lovemyowl
    Hi CR.

Thank you. I’ve just joined the scope few days ago & thought I’d give it try & see how it goes, making new friends hopefully, that’ll mk me feel happier.  It’s very hard for me to meet new friends due to my disability because of my severe speech difficulties and other problems etc. Life’s hard unfortunately.

Lynne
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lovemyowl

It's great to meet you & I'm very sorry that you are having such a bad time currently.

Hopefully you should find some female members in your locality ???

"I do love the name as well"

Please please let me know if I can help in anyway ???

• lovemyowl
    Hi Steve.

Thanks for message. I don’t mind having male friends too but I don’t have any female friends at all, having female friends are important to me, like girlie chat & gossip etc. It’s not very easy for me making new friends because of my disability. How long have u been member of scope? Etc

Lynne 
  • steve51
    Hi @lovemyowl

That's no problem at all, yes i'm very very happy in helping/supporting you in anyway ?????

Yes I totaly understand with regards to female freinds.

Hopefully you may find female members within your area please let me know if I can help ????

I have been at Scope a few months now & I love every minuite.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you !!!
  • lovemyowl

I don’t hv any female friends in my local area ☹️ What do u do for living? Where’d u live? Etc
  • steve51
    Hi @lovemyowl

That's a real shame have'nt you got any family in the area ?????????

I currently live in the West Midlands.

I had to take early retierment a few years ago now due to ill health.

Since my Stroke in 1998 at the age off 32 my health has nose dived big time !!!!!!!

How about you ?????????

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Lynne and welcome to the community.

Have you tried Action for Deafness in East Grinstead? It does not seem to have as many services a their other two locations, but do have a coffee morning once a month. Alternatively they may be aware of other local services you might benefit from.

Hopefully some of our female members will be along to say hello.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• lovemyowl
    Hi 

well I did try that before, unfortunately it wasn’t good enough as deaf ppl didn’t have patience with me when I communicate with them on my iPad communication aid, they just don’t understand how I feel & what is like having severe disability, etc. They have no respect for me. I no longer in deaf world, hearing ppl r better. I’m hoping to meet new hearing friends on here.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    That is a shame :(

One of the things I like about this type of communication is because it is not instant it gives you time to say what you want without feeling rushed, or frustrated. However I appreciate it does not give the one on one contact you want.

May I ask what your interests are, it will help others to start interacting with you. especially if you have an interest in common.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• lovemyowl

My hobbies/interests I like writing email and to chat on messenger & WhatsApp, watch the news, funny comedy films, my fav prog r eastenders, corries, etc. I enjoy going out to different places like national trust, garden centre, window shopping when it’s not too busy, I enjoy going to zoo, love all types of animals. My fav animal r giraffe, lemur, meerkat! & panda
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lovemyowl
    Welcome to the community! Have you tried meetup? It advertises local groups and meet ups in your area, might be worth a look? You can search on area and interest.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness