How & what do I require to get a place of my own? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How & what do I require to get a place of my own?

sandrak19
sandrak19 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi everyone 
my question is I’m divorced from my ex in 2012. 
I was with someone but that ended, since then I’ve been living with a friend who kindly given me her son room who at uni or sleeping overs at my children (who cannot put me up permanently) at weekend. 
I’m unable to work as I have severe Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoporosis, chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia I am on ESA SUPPORT GROUP and just applied for PIP. That is my only income. I have all my furniture in storage since my divorce.
Id like to have my own place but I’m really not sure where to begin and I’m also embarrassed about asking. I’d like to be near my daughters as they’d be able help me a lot with cooking and showering etc.
where do I start??

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello sandra and welcome

Have you tried your local CAB for advice  ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sandrak19
    sandrak19 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I haven’t started anything yet. Was looking for advice by way I’m 59
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Contacting the CAB for advice is always a good option.

If you want to apply for housing you will need to contact your local councils housing department and they will explain that it is mostly done on-line now but should explain how to use "Gateway" as it is called here. You will be able to apply for housing where you are or where you have relatives but only ofc where there are properties suitable for you. You will need proof of any medical issues you suffer from. Unfortunately it is likely that even if you are accepted your priority will be rather low and will face a very long wait because priorities are given to children and families. Your current circumstances may either help or hinder you, depending on your initial assessment. Most likely you will have to attend that initial assessment which will then decide what options you will have.

Your difficulties are that you do have arrangements at the moment and that you have no dependants living with you but, on the good side, your medical conditions will give you some needs. Even so you can still expect it to take many months before you move up high enough on the list to even view places. You will almost certainly be pushed towards privately renting so you may want to look into this option. With your medical conditions you are likely to be given assistance to do so. The area you live in will probably determine how long it ultimately takes as some parts on the country are more under pressure  for housing than others.

Every council handles things a bit differently so do look into it carefully but do get things started as soon as possible..

Hope this helps.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness