Income on contribution based ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Income on contribution based ESA

RSISolutions
RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
Can you tell me the amount of income you can receive on contribution based ESA. Are there any limits? 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If this is for permitted work the limit is £120 pw but be careful that what you do doesn't contradict the reason for your ESA claim

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello RSIsolutions

Can you explain what you mean by income? Are you talking about work or other income e.g. pension income?

The rules for 'permitted work' and rules for other types of income are very different.  As such we need to know exactly what 'income' is.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• RSISolutions
    Examples might be 
    1. Holiday pay from an employer
    2. charity donations - some paid directly into a mortgage account. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hiya,

There are lots of rules regarding income for ESA, so to give a brief outline, Earnings are accounted for, less a £20 disregard - holiday pay normally counts as earnings (if the person has left the job, this can be different).

The exception to the general rule that earnings are accounted for, is 'Permitted Work'. In this case, where the DWP has authorised the work, you can earn either up to £20 or £115.50 depending on what kind of permitted work has been authorised.

As regards charity donations - I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this - however if it is someone paying towards the mortgage of an ESA claimant, this would probably count as income for the claimant. If the person paying towards the mortgage also had an interest in the mortgage this may be different, but I won't speculate on that.

Let us know if you have a specific scenario and we can go into more detail for you.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• RSISolutions
    edited October 2017
    Charity donations - you mention the word probably. This doesn't give me confidence in your answer. I have queried this with the council and they are telling me that the ESA recipient receiving a regular charitable gift is disregarded. 
    An irregular charitable gifts counts towards savings. 
    Now I have two conflicting pieces of advice. Would it be possible for you to check your answer and tell me specifically which parts of the law refer to this ?
  • RSISolutions
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo. Would it be possible for you to reply to the above please. thank you

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.