Motorbility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motorbility

Cobbler
Cobbler Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi. Wonder if you can help. My mom has various medical issues and is in the higher rate of attendance allowance. I have given up work to look after her full time and have moved in with her. I run my own car and as you probably know as a carer you do not get a lot of financial help. My mom assists me with the running of the vehicle. I asked the financial assessment team if my mom could have motorbility so she could have a car and I would drive it. They said that after 75 this is not allowed. I have a friend who has motorbility and she was 75 this year. Please advise what she could be entitled for. Ps my mom is nearly 90. Thank you. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Cobbler and welcome

Unfortunately there is no mobility component  with AA.
    Your friend is most likely in receipt of a PIP/DLA mobility award which has been in place since before she was 65

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Cobbler
    Thank you. Presume they cannot change her benefits?  Seems unfair
  • Cobbler
    I do have one more question. I moved in with my mom and she is a council tenant. The council have told me that I cannot be put on the rent because I am related. This means when she passes away I will more than likely be homeless,especially as it's a bungalow. Again seems unfair and discriminating. What do you think? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Debbie_Scope, can you offer any advice on the above?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Cobbler,

This very much depends on the type of tenancy your Mum has and whether there has already been a succession to the tenancy. Please see more information about inheriting a council tenancy on Shelter's website. Has your Mum always lived alone as a sole tenant in her property? 

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Cobbler
    Thank you Debbie. I will look at the website. No my dad used to be there up until about 14 years ago when he died. She had been here for about 20 years 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Cobbler,

It sounds as though Mum and Dad were joint tenants. When your Dad died it's likely that your Mum inherited the tenancy by way of succession. 

There's information from Shelter about assigning a tenancy. This is another potential option to explore.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Cobbler
    Thank you very much x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Cobbler said:
    Thank you. Presume they cannot change her benefits?  Seems unfair
    Once someone has passed the age of 65 without already having the mobility element of DLA in place they lose the right to claim for loss of mobility. 
    DLA (and its successor, PIP) are known as working age benefits. and as such you cannot 'change benefits' to suit your needs.

It is fair in a way in that if you have poor mobility before you are 65 and get a claim in before the 65th birthday any mobility award is based on having a disability.

After 65 any loss of mobility is not seen as a disability but simply just one of those things that comes with getting old. Getting old and everything that comes with it is acceptance of nature.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Cobbler,

It sounds as though Mum and Dad were joint tenants. When your Dad died it's likely that your Mum inherited the tenancy by way of succession. 

There's information from Shelter about assigning a tenancy. This is another potential option to explore.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Thankfully there are these protections in place. My grandfather died in 1969 and since 1920 following his return from WW1 had rented a small farm, outbuildings etc including 25 acres of pasture from which he provided for his wife and 4 children.
    Following his death his two unmarried sons who had lived with him and worked the farm for him had to vacate the farm and home within 13 weeks. No compensation was due because of the additions that had been made to the farm and improvement of the land.

Both were made homeless and unemployed and both ended up living in a hostel for adult males.

That would never happen in these days one would hope.

Brightness