Driving with a Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving with a Disability

MandyFox
MandyFox Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2017 in Transport and travel
Hello Everyone, I wanted to show you my new car which I love. I had to stop driving my beloved ancient Ford Focus after I developed quite bad drop foot ten years after spinal surgery as I could no longer use the clutch, so I bought this automatic hybrid electric car, its so easy to drive, I love it and can maintain my independence and my hobby as I love driving. With my blue badge, I don't have to worry about parking, Have a lovely day xxx

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MandyFox
    That sounds great!! Have a lovely day too :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Mandy Fox welcome to the wonderful world of driving.  I have an automatic best way in my opinion to drive.  I did not know they do electric cars this is a hybrid.  So I assume it petrol as well.  Looks great.  I probably be looking something like this in the future.  Do have to charge it and have to plug in.  There must be places around to do this.  Glad you got the blue badge as well.  So hard these days to park anywhere.  Pray and hope you keep safe driving.  Not everybody out there is a careful just like me and you and the rest of our community.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • MandyFox
    MandyFox Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi There, 

Thanks for the lovely message, definitely agree about automatics, I think all cars will be autos in future, my brain is getting used to no gears lol so my legs still do strange things automatically reaching for the clutch lolol :)  Yes the car is a hybrid so yes indeed it has a petrol engine and batteries, the petrol engine boosts the battery and its optimum speed for doing so is 70mph I believe, I am still doing research lol. So you dont have to plug it in at all, you put petrol in but the battery saves on petrol so you use less. I love the sound the car makes when it switches from petrol to battery, fascinating. Lots of places seem to have charging points popping up now for the full electric cars. Driving does seem harder these days, everywhere is so busy, so many cars on the road, I am very careful like you, dont want to prang my lovely Prius apart from anything else lol. Safe and happy driving :)

Brightness