Supporting vulnerable people - what do I need to know? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supporting vulnerable people - what do I need to know?

Options
mindy81
mindy81 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2017 in Coffee lounge
Hi everyone I am starting to study to help with my friends lovely son I am looking for the key skills to learn to support them both anyone any advice on these skills and what they would be like maybe dignity respect  anymore would be welcome thanks 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello mindy and welcome

It is most commendable of you wanting to help.
    Can you give us a little more information about what it is that they need support with so we can poit you in the right direction ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mindy81
    mindy81 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Yes I would just like to know key factors of aiding and helping a vulnerable person there needs and key factors on how I should be aware of key factors like disrimation equality other key factors I should know to be fully committed  to his needs if I'm explaining properly thanks
  • KatyS
    KatyS Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I work part time with young vulnerable children. Each day is different. Get to know them, build trust and praise them even if it is just putting the lid back on the pen. Rewards such as stickers help. Have fun but make sure they know the boundaries. I dislike liars and I always praise a child who at first lies to me but then when questioned more tells me the truth. If you need some more help, let me know. Your comment is a bit vague so not 100% what you needed to know sorry. Probably me not reading it properly. ☺️
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mindy81, have you considered taking an online course to enhance your knowledge? There are a few free courses that provide a good overview that might interest you, such as this Adult Safeguarding course.

Brightness