What is the point in sending in plenty of evidence if they don't even read it ?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is the point in sending in plenty of evidence if they don't even read it ??

Options
charlie2017
charlie2017 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had an assessment in august and despite being told by many that the more evidence you send in the better (I sent a lot of different evidence -managers letters, prescription lists, diaries, nurse letters, consultants letters) the first thing the assessor said was "I haven't had time to read through all your evidence as there is too much of it". I got awarded standard for daily living but looking at the points I scored there are some I feel I should have got and didn't. What is the point in sending in plenty of evidence if they don't even read it ??

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi charlie

It is important to send in as much relevant evidence as possible. The reason being that first evidence is considered the most reliable ( if you have been able to obtain it in the time frame). If you do end up at appeal the panel can see that all the evidence was there at the start.

It is not the ammount of evidence that is the problem, it is how it is read or, as you have found out, not read.  With any claim, you should try and make it "idiot proof". Reference each descriptor to page and paragraph of your evidence, literally lead the reader to the right place for the information.

I know it is frustrating that we have to do their job for them, but, try and look at it from the other side. As an assessor you have maybe  8 - 10 cases per day. Can you physically read the equivalent of "War and Peace" in every case ? would you apprieciate an index to skip to the good parts ?.

I am not defending the system, it is flawed. I am not defending bad assessors, they should be reported. Dodgy reports should be challenged and no, I don't work for them. 

It is a stressful process for all of us because it is messing with our lives, but in some cases we can help ourselves by helping them.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlie2017
    charlie2017 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Options
    Yes I agree. Makes sense that if we've been seen to have done what we're supposed to have done that it has to look favourably on us especially if they haven't done their jobs properly, and I guess idiot proofing is what they need, thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.