Went to tribunal and got an award - waiting to see if the DWP appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Went to tribunal and got an award - waiting to see if the DWP appeal

glenny
glenny Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have FSH muscular dystrophy which was diagnosed in my 50s, I'm now 63 and have been battling with the DWP to award PIP for over a year after they gave me no points at my assessment. I went to a tribunal last week and they awarded standard mobility and enhanced care. I won't believe it until that money is actually in my bank account as I'm waiting to see if the DWP appeal! What are others experience of this?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Glenny and welcome

It is becoming common for the DWP to ask the judge for a SOR. They can only appeal on an error of law, which seldom happens.

It is worth checking with the DWP that they have received the ruling as they have been known to "mislay" these.

How long is your award ? will it take you past your 65 b/day ?

If so then are you aware that the mobility rate cannot be increased beyond 65 ?

Good thing is you do have a mobility award to take forward.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • glenny
    Hi CR
    As the award is backdated to Sept last year (date of original claim) for 2 years then no, it won't take me past my 65th birthday. I'm not too worried about it being increased though.
    I'll ring the DWP tomorrow to see if they've received the ruling, what happens if they say they haven't?
    I'm fully expecting more delaying tactics!
    Thanks for your reply.
    glenny
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @glenny

A very big welcome to you this afternoon.

Here's some info for you with regards to pip.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/appeals

Please let me know if I can help you further ????
  • CockneyRebel
    glenny said:
    Hi CR
    As the award is backdated to Sept last year (date of original claim) for 2 years then no, it won't take me past my 65th birthday. I'm not too worried about it being increased though.
    I'll ring the DWP tomorrow to see if they've received the ruling, what happens if they say they haven't?
    I'm fully expecting more delaying tactics!
    Thanks for your reply.
    glenny
    If they haven't received it , ring the tribunal.
    Just wanted to give you a heads up on the 65 thing as many people miss out

CR
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @glenny, let us know how you get on if you do speak to the DWP, and let us know if there's anything we can advise you on.

As always, brill advice from @CockneyRebel!
  • glenny
    Hi, I phoned the DWP, they confirmed they had received the tribunal's ruling. Bit of a strange conversation actually! The lady first said they were working on a renewal notice, then she said no caseworker would want to deal with it as it was 'a bit muddley'. She then apparently spoke with the caseworker (!!) and told me they were working out how much back pay I would get and that they would write to me shortly. Not heard anything as yet. Where do they get these people?!

• CockneyRebel
    sounds positive
    I think that the selection process includes GCSE (f) in finger painting and pumpkin carving

CR
  • glenny
    You could be right CR! I'll keep you updated.
    Glenny

• glenny
    Hi,
    Had my letter from the DWP yesterday confirming amount of award by tribunal and arrears to be paid . The arrears have now been credited to my account, happy days (for a year until the review anyway!) 
    Thanks for the advice.
    Glenny
  • CockneyRebel
    Great news. Thanks for posting a positive

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.