Looking for information on disabled co-housing or small scale community housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for information on disabled co-housing or small scale community housing

alicemary
alicemary Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on housing options for a disabled man. My brother is 53, has Spina Bifida and hydrocephalus (no shunt) with moderate to severe learning disabilities, very restricted mobility and no feeling in his lower body. He was moved out of a flat in a disabled community 10 years ago but has not found that independent living suits him and has become quite lonely and isolated. We haven't found any other possibilities for him as there are hardly any residential settings suitable for his age. He self-funds. He can't manage the responsibility of his own flat. Has anyone looked into setting up disabled co-housing, or other small-scale community living? He would love to find one or two other disabled people with similar interests to share a house, and also perhaps share support costs, and our family would love information on whether investment in such a scheme is possible. Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alicemary welcome to the community, 

@Debbie_Scope can you offer any support?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @alicemary,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to learn that independent living isn't working out for your Brother.

What you suggest seems like a really good idea but I'm not sure how practical it would be in reality.
    There's lots involved in setting up a housing cooperative and you can find out more from Radical Routes who produced a guide to setting up a co-op. It will help get you started and their information has links to other resources. Catalyst Collective  also has information to help you. 

Have you considered supported housing as an alternative option? This has the same principles, living together, sharing the costs and shared care but without the headache of registering as a cooperative and fulfilling all of the legal requirements involved. Take a look at the housing information from Learning Disability England, which covers lots of different housing options including supported housing.

I hope that this has been a helpful starting point for you. Please let me know if you need further advice.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness