Let the Red and Yellow do the talking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let the Red and Yellow do the talking

GeoffBosworth195661
GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
Hello friends I would like to share with most of you who have problems to get across to anyone in the medical circle of how you feel and you wish you asked certain questions but could not. Same if any one sees GPs. Consultants, Professors, you wished you could understand some of the things they talk to you about, but in medical terms goes above your head and you did not understand. If you are one of those people then this is what you can do with out getting all worked up into a frenzy and realise you should have said this. Firstly you can have a free A4 acetate card with at the bottom a red colour square and yellow square. You can easily get social services or co worker to get you one. The headlining Tips on how YOU must communicate with me. This card explains that when for example a consultant speaks to you and it as not gone inn you point to the yellow square they by law have to repeat it again (I will explain this later why) if you have not a clue what they are talking to you about of your health it's gone over your head point to the red. The consultant for example as to break it down the medical terms by law for you to understand. If you are nervous asking the consultant you can write down the question and show it, with out speaking. They must give you the service in a understanding way that you understand. The list on the cards explains step by step your needs in this way of communications. Now the law is on your side, it states as follows - important note failure to comply with the above is to ignore and disregard your communication needs. This is in breach of the following legislations:
* Human Rights Act 1998
*Equality Act 2010
*Care Act 2014
*NHS England Accessible information Standards 2015      

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for that, never heard of it before

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds like a really interesting way of doing things, thank you for sharing that with us @GeoffBosworth195661
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello thank you for this.  As a person who gets the best of times anxiety the minute I step in a surgery.  Nine times out of ten the best thing I have ever done is to write it down what I need to say.  The doctor I have is patient and understanding so most of the time discussing anything medical been known to print off information on web.  This useful this red or yellow card then.  Worth getting one in the future thank you.  What I like about this forum information I do not know.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there somewhere that we can write to to obtain these cards ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GeoffBosworth195661
    Its good to see you back on the community! We have missed you! :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Hi @Sam_Scope just go back from Florida Trade fair for new gadgets for any type of disability. More details coffee site. Now some of you have asked about where you get the above board and red and yellow cards. The statement sheet and regulations can be done free of charge by social Services on A4 paper then laminated as the information of places you go for medical checks GPS DRs etc. on the opposite side is blank. you need to buy a marker non permanent reason after writing down the questions to be answered you can wipe of with piece of kitchen roll paper or similar to wipe of and continue write. It is a good idea to wipe with a damp cloth when completely finished. the red and yellow are the same size as a playing card. A small piece of cello tape on red card to tell it is red if colour blind or blind. A writing board with elastic lines that an A4 can be inserted into the board so the blind can write in a line by line. This can be purchased from RNIB shop or web site . Just type capital letters RNIB a list comes up shop click on type writing board. This is excellent to use for the lined when using the Statement sheet and red yellow. If you want a copy of the sheet but you have to have it laminated. If social services have a problem please and require the wording layout let me know. Each regulation that is mentioned clearly worded you have your rights.     

Brightness