Hi, my name is Chris_Uddin1968! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Chris_Uddin1968!

Chris_Uddin1968
Chris_Uddin1968 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I claim Carer's Allowance for my partner who is on DLA and my health is now getting poor as I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and wondered if I was able to make a claim in my own right without losing current benefit except losing the Carer's Allowance if the claim for DLA was successful, could anyone please advise what we can do and where we may stand, thank you all.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Chris and welcome

You can make a claim for PIP in your own right, it is a non income related benefit.
    As long as you still care for your partner for 35 hrs pw you can claim carers. It is possible for a couple to claim carers for each other if they can fulfull the requirements.
    You don't say what other benefits you claim which would be useful to know to advise you further

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chris_Uddin1968
    Chris_Uddin1968 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi cockney rebel, thanks for your reply, my partner gets eesa and DLA, I get carer's allowance, I've been considering applying for DLA myself since I've been diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia and soon I may need a carer too, hope this helps.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Does you partner get any part of ESA  income related ie. a top  up or full ESA(IR) claim ?
    or is it contribution based ?
    You can claim PIP without affecting your partners benefit but you may also be able to claim disability premium
    Try taking the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

hope that helps. Please come back with any questions and we will try and help

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.