Never accept the negative opinions but perservere — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Never accept the negative opinions but perservere

Options
popi
popi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
My husband has CP, did not walk or talk until he was around 7/8 years old. His speech is compromised and fine motor movement like buttons, writing although he can write his signature and simple sentiments on my cards. He has acute balance proplems but as long as momentum takes him he stays upright, however he does fall and wrecks his jeans and has bad injuries to his knees, he gets up and goes on again. He was told at 17 he was unemployable but after receiving a Prince's Trust Grant he set up his own business. Despite the CP when he picks up a camera he can use it! He is a landscape photographer and struggles to sell door to door in our area. His earnings are quite low but are classed as theraputic earnings but the fact that he works has helped his confidence and self esteem. I myself am also disabled and have a very rare form of dwarfism. I am 4'1" and he's 5'11" and we have been happily married for 13 years. I work full time and have done since age 18. We own our own home, and unfortunately for me I have to do all the driving! I write all this for the mums and dads and relatives of babies, children and young people who have cerebral palsy or any other disability never to completely accept the negative opinions of medical professionals but to perservere and be positive, also even though it gives pain to you to see your child suffer, it is important for them to show resiliance and grit to battle  and be pushed to do what they can as they will then be able to achieve for themselves and the satisfaction and joy is priceless. It goes without saying that this is done with love, patience, time, humour, praise when goal achieved. It may be helpful to visualise yourself with the same issues and how you would cope. Your life will be richer than you can ever imagine when acceptance of a disability and the challenge of life with it will give you a true sense of what really matters and the interaction and empathy you have gained. Every blessing and please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @popi, welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your story! The Prince's Trust are absolutely wonderful, I know quite a few people who've really thrived from being part of their work and the approach they take, and I definitely agree that having that sense of purpose really can make a huge difference.

I hope today is as kind as possible to both you and your husband! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @popi
    Welcome to the community, it is great to hear about you and your husband! When you say he is selling photographs door to door, I just wondered if you both had thought about setting him up with a website to show and sell his photography through? 

There are lots of free training courses online to teach you how to set up websites, and also lots of councils offer training too. You can learn and set up your own website for next to nothing.  Let me know if he would be interested in this and I can try and find some links :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness