Diet and nutrition. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diet and nutrition.

pinkrabbit
pinkrabbit Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I would like to ask Kirsten about diet, I am disabled with ME but for 30 years have had IBS which has also got much worse. I suffere with low blood sugar divaticulitus and indigestion. I am also vegitarian and find there is almost nothing I can eat now I cannot digest fats and suffer such pain after eating that now I rarely have any appetite at all. I have lost nearly 2 stone this year and now weigh less than 8 . I have recently cut right down on sugar and fats and am taking pro bio tics and dietary enzymes but am in pain after eating anything but porridge or egg. Any suggestions?

Comments

• loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi Pinkrabbit,
    Sorry to hear you are struggling so much. I am not expert but have struggled with similar problems. Has your doctor checked you for the helicobactor pylori bug?
    Would be definitely worth asking if it has not been done.
    T
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi @Pinkrabbit, I am no expert either but have had digestive problems for years and having recently got PIP I decided to spend some of it on seeing a Nutritionist. A very clever lady who has gone through my medical history, what I eat and also checks my blood tests. I too have studied these from last year to this year and learnt so much about what is happening in my body. Before I saw her I was more or less where you are now. Hardly eating anything and very depressed as I had convinced myself that nothing could be done. I do know there are good fats and bad and we all need some fat in our diet. I too stopped eating sugar and ended up at my surgery with low blood sugar unable to produce any blood for a test as my veins had shut down. It was very frightening. I have tried every diet going in the last 40 odd years and nothing has helped. However I now feel on track to improving my health with diet and supplements the Nutritionist is recommending. I am working with her, not just accepting everything she says as no-one knows your body better than you do. I hope you can get the help you need. Unfortunately the NHS is there to treat illness when it does develop but most of the time it's only treating the symptoms and not the cause of the problem. I would love to help you with what to eat but it's not my place to do so. Hope I've helped though in giving you "food for thought". 
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hello, without a through history and food diary it wouldn't be professional of me to advice you on this. 
    would you be able to give me a bit more information, what do you eat alltigether, what do you drink, when you say you cant digest fats how do you experience this?
    dogestive enzymes should've taken half an hour before you eat a meal is this how you take them, what digestive enzymes are you taking as we need different enzymes to digest different foods.  
    It's not surprising you have low. Look sygar if you aren't able to eat as we get sugar primarily from carbohydrates but our body can also turn protein into sugar if we have too much of it. So when your unable to eat this is likely to result in low blood sugar. 
  • pinkrabbit
    pinkrabbit Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    The digestive enzimes I have started taking are amalase, protease,lipase lactase and celluase with betaine, i take them as i am preparing food, I will try to take them sooner. I get pain and migraine after eating fried food or too much cheese and my stools are yellow. I can eat porrige and eggs with no trouble, bread no more than 2 slices a day and small amounts of fruit and veg.I eat quorn for protien and fish. Any ready meals upsett my stomache so the above is al I eat regularly.

• Singers11
    Singers11 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have IBS. I also need to lose some weight. Because of my IBS I have to be very careful what I eat. Yes I have a sweet tooth. Dieting is very difficult for me, I am in constant pain because of my Arthrtist. I have trouble walking  I have a walking stick exercise is very difficult I do try and do it though. What advice would you give me. 

Brightness