Hi, my name is Alisonmcg76! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Alisonmcg76!

Alisonmcg76
Alisonmcg76 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Beyond stressed, I’m an autistic female with two autistic daughters, I work a part time job as a cleaner, a job which I took so I could care for them. But now that they’re older I needed to get a full time job as mine just won’t cut it. I have applied everywhere and get refused for the most part even an interview. Now to boot they are kicking autistic kids off of Dla which means at some point my children won’t receive any assistance and I will need to be able to pick up the slack, but how am I supposed to do that if I can’t get another job?! I have always worked and I have always worked hard and except for their DLA I claim no benefits at all, I feel like the system has failed them

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Alison and welcome

Sounds like you are a great mother doing your very best for your children.
    How old are your daughters ?
    Have you ever applied for PIP for yourself ?
    Where did you hear that they are kicking AS children off DLA ?

Please have a look around the site, there is loads of info.

Please come back with any question and we will do our best to help

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Alisonmcg76
    Hi ya Sam, thanks for that, I really am doing the best I can :) . I wouldn’t qualify for PIP as I work over the threshold for hours, also because I am able to work and care for myself I wouldn’t qualify, plus I’d lose my mind if I didn’t have work lol . Recently there have been a lot of ones with autism here in Northern Ireland booted off the benefit. Already my friends younger sister who is definitely not able to care for herself has been removed, another friends sons are being called for interviews as to whether or not they should be allowed to stay on, and I’m just waiting for my kids to be called on. My eldest is 19 and mentally can’t cope enough to live on her own or care for herself, we’ve had self harming issues and suicide watch with her for years. My youngest is 14 and she requires more physical care than my eldest. They may eventually outgrow some of the things that hold them back like I did but at this stage they require care that I now struggle to provide as there just seems to not be enough hours in a day lol
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alisonmcg76

A very big welcome to our online community.

I do hope that we can help & support you & your family ??

You sound like a very good mum & very busy one as well.

Yes as they say in this country "the more you do the less you get"

There is alot going on as DLA is being replaced with PIP.

I have posted some info below, I hope that it is ok ???

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip

Thanks.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is not a means tested benefit and many people work full time but still meet the criteria for PIP, so you would still be able to work which I understand is important to you.
    It is important to understand the PIP points scoring system, the descriptors and the criteria for an award. For an idea what is required try the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Alisonmcg76
    Thank you Steve51 for the link, I’ll check it out now :) and thank you CockneyRebel, Perhaps it’s time to swallow my pride and apply. I never used benefits because I guess I always looked at it as if we had enough food on the table and oil in the tank and I was able to provide clothes and stuff like art and music supplies for their outlets we were good, but now it looks like everything is just so up in the air 
  • steve51
    Hi @Alisonmcg76

Good mourning !!!!!!

Yes yes swallow your pride !!!!!!

That's what it is there for, when we become unable too work !!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help you with the forms !!!!! 

"As it is not what you no but who you no"

• Alisonmcg76
    Thank you so much Steve51 that’s very nice of you :) and I appreciate the help :)
  • steve51
    Hi @Alisonmcg76

That's no problem at all that's what I'm here for !!!!!!!

Please please let me know if you need anymore help ?

Thank's.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.