volunteering work placement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

volunteering work placement

senaz23
senaz23 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited August 2016 in Work and employment
my son who is 22 and have ASD with Down Syndrome is looking for volunteering placement in the office for filing photocopyingor the hopitality industry for at the back task such as cleaning and tidying. what i am finding is that employers are mainly interested in high functioning individuals thus people like my son get left behind. this is really wrong. can you advise please.

Comments

• YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    This is very unfortunate because many companies today are reluctant/unwilling to take on people who may need special consideration- and it's totally unfair. I hope your son is able to find a placement; I recommend that you keep enquiring into new offices and see if you can get feedback from the other companies- just to confirm that it is a bias against disability.

I wish you (and your son!) the best of luck
  • senaz23
    senaz23 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    thanks very much but i was of the opinion that organisation like Scope Mind and Mencap should work on this. Employers can get paid for reasonable adjustment.
  • YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Apologies, I just thought that you might appreciate a reply (even if from a non-professional). I'm sure someone from above organisations will get in touch soon
  • Rian_Alumni
    Rian_Alumni Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    @senaz23
    Hi I am Rian from Scope Support to Work.

I think your son should upload his CV on volunteering sites to increase his chances of gaining volunteer roles.
    https://do-it.org/ is a website that may be able to assist him in gaining a volunteer position that may even lead to paid employment.

you can get him to register with them and he may find a suitable position.

Kind Regards

Rian

Rian
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness