Looking for a suitable home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a suitable home

Clivey66
Clivey66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, my name is Clive and was diagnosed with PPMS in 2003. In 2013 I returned from Canada (after 10 years) to care for my mother who is now in care with dementia. Her health is deteriorating and the end is inevitable. My concern is that I am currently residing in my mothers home but when the end comes I will need to relocate to a home that is suitable to my own needs. I will be receiving an  inheritance that will put me over the council financial threshold. My question is, are there any suitable contacts that will direct me to a suitable website portal? The main internet search engines are a little ambiguous to say the least 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Clivey66, welcome to the community!

When you say a home suitable to your own needs, can you give us some more information on what it is you're looking for? Is it a residential home you're searching for, or an alternative that can be adapted for you? Let us know, and we'll do our best to help you out. 

Have a great day! 
  • Clivey66
    Hi Pippa, thanks for getting in touch! I'm pretty independent and would prefer my own home. Mobility is becoming an issue for me so a bungalow or something similar would be perfect!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Clivey66, thanks for getting back to me and letting me know!

I wonder if @Debbie_Scope can offer any guidance on where you should be looking?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Clivey66,

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to see that your Mother's health has deteriorated. You've had a lot on your plate these past few years and it's probably been a big worry for you.

Are you planning to stay in the area where you live now or are you looking to relocate elsewhere in the UK?

Are you looking to buy a property or rent one?

I hope we can help you with some ideas.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Clivey66
    Hi Debbie, having lived in Canada for so long, I really miss the space - possibly towards the south coast. My brother expressed a preference to me living within driving to distance to Salisbury where he lives so if the worst comes to worse he can get to me. I will have a inheritance when my mum passes so I would prefer to buy over renting. Thanks for all your help!  
                                       Clive                  

Brightness