Being a Student and a Young Carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being a Student and a Young Carer

Options
annalisejanack
annalisejanack Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Annalise Janack is a student at Oxford while also being a young carer for her sister who has M.E. (Myalgic Encephalopathy). In between all of this she writes about current affairs and social justice issues on her website, justapersonthinking. Today she talks about the difficulties she’s faced while balancing her student life and carer life, and a few tips she’s picked up along the way.

Being a young carer is hard. Being a student is also hard. But being a young carer while studying full time is really hard.

Everyone here knows that there’s no standard story of disability, so it makes sense that no two experiences of being a young carer are the same either. Both my parents stay home to care for my sister, which means that my older sister and I are ‘secondary carers’. The phrase “it takes a village” comes to mind. My family are extremely fortunate to have a huge support network in our hometown, which means I can attend university in the first place.

When I’m away at university I can’t attend physiotherapy sessions or help my sister with lifting and showering, but I am on call to help with emotional and psychological health. I worry about her health everyday and I feel the familiar stab of fear whenever I hear she has a cold, which might set her back months. The dread of going back to university, knowing that her health could deteriorate even further while I’m away is awful. And my feelings are not irrational. My first term at Oxford, I left my sister in a wheelchair. When I returned for Christmas, she couldn’t sit up without fainting.

three young girls on a path in front of a beach youngest girl is in a wheelchair wearing sunglasses ear defenders and a neck-rest whilst holding a small white dog whilst two older girls stand either side of the wheelchair smiling

Then there’s the time I spend at home. Depending on my sister’s health, she can need a large amount of physical aid. The fact that it can change overnight makes being a carer while being a student a mentally and physically exhausting task. I can find myself torn between two anxieties: the guilt that I am never doing enough to help at home, and the fear that I am neglecting my studies at the same time.

I spent the better part of two years fumbling through being a student while my sister’s health spiralled out of my reach. The responsibility that comes with being a young carer can be relentless, just like the pressure to try and keep it together throughout it all. Luckily, I’ve also learned a few things to help survive life as a student carer…

·      Try to tell other people at university about what’s going on at home. You are in no way obliged to share your saga (trust me, I know how tedious it gets) but I also know that as difficult as it can be initially, good things come out of sharing. At the very least, tell the tutors that you might have to turn to for support from at some point. If you can, tell your friends and try to find people in a similar position to you. Because they do exist. I promise.

·      Accept that people won’t always have the perfect response to your issues. Being a carer is a life that is incredibly difficult to imagine unless you’ve been through it yourself; a bit like how you don’t notice how many places aren’t wheelchair accessible until you’ve been out with someone in a wheelchair. But it doesn’t mean they don’t care.

·      Become entitled. If you need financial support because your caring responsibilities mean you don’t have time to get a job, then ask for it. Don’t be afraid to tell your tutors exactly what you need to be supported in your studies. After years of practice of putting someone else’s needs at the forefront of everything you do, putting yourself first can seem strange, but it’s also necessary for your own wellbeing. And you deserve it.

It took time for me to recognise that regardless of grades or marks, I am an asset to my university. All student carers are. We come from an overlooked group of people who are less likely to apply for university, and more likely to drop out of their studies. We still struggle to be recognised by the institutions we attend but in a way, this makes our achievements all the more significant. Being a student while being a young carer is hard. It’s also worth it.

Are you a student carer or know someone who is? Do you have any struggles or tips to share? Leave a comment below!

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Annalise, your post is so important, it's so true that young adult carers are sometimes over looked and not given the support they need.

I think you've given such amazing advice, especially that it's important to put yourself first sometimes and to take opportunities  of support.

Also thought you were right to stress how important that emotional and physiological is. Just as exhausting and takes up a such time and energy and do important for that person you are caring for, and your family. 

Thanks for your post, I recognised a lot of what you wrote though from the position of the disabled person in the family. 

Are universities and colleges generally supportive? 
  • annalisejanack
    annalisejanack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    mossycow said:

Are universities and colleges generally supportive? 
    Hi mossycow, thank you so much for everything you've said!  Once I told my teachers and tutors about what was going on at home they were extremely supportive, although it took me a while to realise that I deserved support as a young carer in the first place. Another issue is that because I'm 'only' a secondary carer I'm not officially recognised as a carer on any university records. 

I've also heard of stories where people have told their universities about their caring responsibilities and they've been told they can only choose between caring and studying. Which is outrageous, and why we need to talk more about carers and all the amazing things they do in the first place.

Brightness