Spinal collar comfort tips please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal collar comfort tips please

ruthwxm
ruthwxm Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
My husband had decompression and fusion on 3 cervical vertebrae just over two weeks ago. He’s finding the hard spinal collar quite uncomfortable where it rests on his shoulders, and also is experiencing pain running from neck down to far end of shoulder beyond where collar is, maybe just nerves playing up while healing?? Can anyone give any tips for making the hard collar more comfortable, or can share what it was like for them at this stage of recovering from this surgery?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthwxm

Good mourning & welcome to our community.

I have found something that maybe better ???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyNeck-Cervical-Neck-Traction-Device/dp/B01F9OYUYI/ref=sr_1_16_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510572940&sr=8-16&keywords=spinal+collar

Please please let me know how you feel & if you need further assistance ?????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthwxm, sorry to hear that your husband is uncomfortable: it must be difficult to have to get used to wearing something like that for so much of the day. I've moved your post to the neurological conditions category, in the hope that other members will be able to advise you further. 
  • ruthwxm
    ruthwxm Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Thanks Steve51 for your suggestion... It certainly looks like an interesting gadget, but with Martin being only a few weeks post-op, I think we would have to discuss it with the hospital before he attempted to use anything like that... We do have a soft collar which he was wearing before the surgery, today we are experimenting with him just wearing that while around the house and sitting down nearly all the time, and just switching to the hard collar for going out, and that has been loads better, almost all the pain is gone!
    He should be able to wear the hard one overnight as it’s normally okay while he is lying down...
    His balance is so much improved after the surgery, the risk of a fall while indoors is really very low, so I think we are justified to do this, going to try it for a bit longer anyway as it’s so much nicer for him!
    Thanks Pippa for moving the post to the right place, as a newcomer to the forum I was groping in the dark a bit, obviously!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all, @ruthwxm!

As you say, do make sure you run things by a medical professional involved in your husband's care first, but fingers crossed you can find a way of doing things that works out for you. Keep us updated if you do stumble across any more tips, as other members may benefit from them too! 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruthwxm

Thank you very much, I'm very sorry but I forgot to let you know about the hospital.

You sound kihe you areboth on the right path which is great news.

Please please let me know if there is anything else I can offer you ???

I myself have sufferd a Stoke a from time to time have to ware a hard collar.

Many thanks.

Brightness