Which Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which Benefit

sharri1959
sharri1959 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hiya i was diagnosed with cancer in the pelvis in November 2015 and finished my radiotherapy and Chemo treatment in March 2016 the treatment worked and my tumor has shrunk and can't be seen, for which i'm so grateful. I am 58 yrs and hubby 62 yrs old. I have been awarded PIP std rate also my husband is my carer so we get carers allowance, I also got ESA in the support group but after a medical assessment was told i didn't get any points i must say i didn't understand the form and just ticked cancer/ recovering from treatment they sent me a letter to say my payments would stop in April this year, i did appeal but they decided i was not entitled to the benefit anymore we couldn't face going to a tribunal.  We have cashed in a old pension and have been struggling on that but it is reducing very quickly. I Would like to know if i can apply for income support or retry ESA with some after treatment side effects that i now suffer from any advice please.   Thank you      

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sharri and welcome

If you can show a new or significantly worstened condition you can reapply. Be aware of the savings/ income limits for IR awards
    Are you in a UC area ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sharri1959
    Hi CockneyRebel  thanks for the reply, the problems i'm having (bowel urgency) have started since the radiotherapy i have spoken to my Consultant he said its a side effect of the treatment and there isn't anything more they can do. I was told that i could apply for Job seekers but i feel i wouldn't be able to cope with the anxiety. I've looked at UC but am not sure i could get it looking at the form.I wondered if i could re-apply for ESA with my problem even though it was caused by the treatment i had last year am not sure they would class it as a new condition. Any thoughts on this thank you 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    It sounds like a worstened condition so you should reappy
    It would be usefull to have supporting letters from your consultant and GP

Is your area a fuul service of live service UC area ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sharri1959
    Hiya I'm not sure it says November 17 but the information isn't very clear, thanks for your help its hard trying to find out about benefits. thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.