Confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused

Teddylo
Teddylo Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi, I'm looking for help !
I'm currently on SSP from a job I'm no longer physically able to do due to arthritis. Can I hand my notice in and claim a benefit until I'm able to get a less physically demanding job ?
I'm still able to work but need to change career paths.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited November 2017
    Hi Teddylo,

It is a bit difficult to advise at the moment without knowing more about your circumstances. In theory you can do what you have asked but whether it will be financially better for you to do so depends on other circumstances.
    Firstly, do you have a partner living with you and if so are they working or claiming benefits? I know you are off sick at the moment but are you full-time or part time and have you been full or part time in the last two full tax years. This information will help us to advise you more accurately. Thank you.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Teddylo
    Hi Lee, I live on my own divorced a long time ago & I have always worked full time up until I started having problems with my joints & suffering severe pain. Last November I dropped my hours down to 144 hours per month from 168 hours so I suppose I'm now part time. My job is very heavy & I'm not coping with going back as I was off last march & went back & struggled until august then the doc has signed me off since. My work says there are no light duties so want me to hand my notice in. I'm currently looking for work that isn't to gruellingly hard on my joints. I have osteoarthritis in my spine hips knees & hands.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Teddylo,

I would always advise against resigning from an employment law point of view, but why not post the same query in the ask an employment adviser section? From a benefits point of view, leaving a job voluntarily can reduce the benefits you get, if the DWP don't agree that you have what's called limited capability for work. You can't guarantee how the DWP will assess your health, even though you have a recognised condition.

I'd suggest that for now you look to see if there are any other benefits you can get along with your SSP. If you pay rent, this could be housing benefit, and you may also be able to get help with the council tax. I'd also look into whether you can claim PIP (the self-test is here). 

You can do a benefit check using the calculator.

The problem is that if you do resign, what you can claim is going to depend on lots of factors. You may be entitled to employment and support allowance (ESA). There are two types, income-related (slowly being replaced by universal credit) and contributory. Because you've been working recently, it may be you can get ESA based on your national insurance contributions. But how you claim will depend on where you are in the country.

You have to be careful if you are claiming income-related ESA, as in some areas of the country this will lead to a claim for Universal Credit, a monthly benefit that has to be claimed online. It all depends on your postcode.

I'd be very cautious about resigning. Whatever you claim you are likely to have to have a medical to decide whether they agree that you currently have limited capability for work. If they don't agree, you may struggle to get money.

I'm sorry it's more complicated than you might think! I would recommend getting phone or face to face advice from a local advice agency if you can.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• Teddylo
    Thank you for the information, I feel I'm in a bit of a difficult situation but the doc doesn't have a problem signing me off as I work in healthcare  & can no longer do my job safely. I will post in the employment section & thank you again for your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.