Welcome to our new group on dealing with chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Welcome to our new group on dealing with chronic pain

Chris_Alumni
Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
Chronic pain is generally defined as pain that lasts for more than a couple of months. It can be highly disruptive to your life and happiness, and can be caused by a variety of reasons. For whatever reason you suffer from chronic pain, this discussion group is a place to share your experiences and tips, and to ask advice on dealing with chronic pain.

Click the 'New discussion' button in the top right to start a new conversation. Or respond to one of the discussions already taking place.

Comments

• Niamh
    Niamh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    It is very hard, have any of you managed to keep a job with the pain?
  • vlismassarah
    vlismassarah Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I too have lost many friends..I try to think of something positive like that I have a roof over my head, but there are times I get so low ..thinking of people worse off helps..poor kids in terrible pain..at least I've had 40 years no pain..I'm v v isolated where I live. The morphine makes me so sleepy but I couldn't cope without. Most my friends have no room for a wheelchair so I rely lot on my husband ..but he works..you are right we should be pleased even if we just make it to the sofa
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Morning All,
    Firstly apologies for having been absent for a couple of weeks - one of the probs of us "advisors" also being sufferers is that we have our own health flares!!  For me it has been having 3 colonoscopies in 3 weeks with the dreaded bowel prep....this didn't work due to my connective tissue disorder, so on the final occasion I was on clear fluids for 3 days and have struggled to get back on my feet.  Needless to say my pain has flared everywhere and everything has been upset...then father in law had a stroke....
    Enough of me wittering, but I am back and hope to join chats to give support and advice!
    Claire x
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • ClaireSaul
    @minxykat - I know I've just replied to another comment, but as one ex nurse to another...I get it!!  My brain fog has become so much worse in the last couple of years, and I no longer take opiates regularly so can't blame them!  My social life has also changed dramatically and I think that family and friends find it difficult to understand how our condition can change so quickly - we are not letting people down at the last minute intentionally, it is not easy to plan in advance, but this doesn't mean that we don't want to be included in plans now.  I must admit that many of my social contacts are now online through groups such as this, facebook, specific health groups (I have Ehlers Danlos) and blogging.  
    The brain fog specifically does cause me grief though as at times I will forget something within minutes of being told/asked.  I forget to answer emails and texts/messages and like you find myself asking the kids the same thing several times.  I have struggled round the house looking for a walking stick, whilst holding it in my hand!!  Recently I managed to attempt a poem to describe brain fog for my blog!
    Good to meet you,
    Claire

Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • ClaireSaul
    I suffer with arthritis epilepsy and other medical conditions and I find the best thing is to arrange something and look forward to it even you can't go it gives you a boost and something to look forward to. Dont give up and don't let the pain ruin your life. Easier said than done I know but try. All my love and best wishes.
    I try to live by this philosophy too.  On bad days it can be easier said than done,  but it really does help, doesn't it?  There are always people to speak to online who understand, which I have found invaluable.
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk

Brightness